Romsey Vintage Tackle Fair. Sunday 2nd October 2022

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Romsey Vintage Tackle Fair. Sunday 2nd October 2022

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:38 pm I hear a certain 'Maggot Boy' took 4 tables!

My overall impression is that there were less through the door again and that those that did come weren't buying much.
Not sure who 'Maggot Boy' is, but the fair seemed pretty busy to me! I was unable to walk around myself, as I was 'solo' so unable to comment on what was available from other tables! It is true that I did not do well with fibreglass rods, but what I did sell made the trip well worthwhile! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:27 pm Always look forward to Romsey with great anticipation and the last one did not disappoint. I noted that there was a pronounced increase in very modern tackle is creeping in. Even non fishing tackle related items being on display.When the theme of the show becomes fudged the attraction goes for me!!!!
I remember when I first went some 12 years ago now, there were hundreds of modern carbon rods from China that had lost their way, some tatty, some really rather well made. As the Maggot Boy said there are only a few factories in China making rods and the unit cost doesn't vary much...just the retail price.

In those days the Fair was in two halls and with the right products on his table a seller could do well. But I do recall a few tables that had no tackle at all, just antiques.

Guessing what people will want in the future is no easy task and I would make my best choice and spend the next 6 months acquiring and restoring my 'best guess' . In those day I might take £900, the last I took £30, so not covering my petrol and table fees, let alone 6 months 'work'. Perhaps I just lost the knack of guessing correctly?

When you can't sell a popular rod, well restored, I think it means everyone who wants one has got it already. So I went over to Mitchell reels, but the price went right up and I couldn't restore them and sell them on at a profit.

I'm not moaning about the change, just observing that it has happened.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Ahhh, the penny has dropped Nobby, I now know who you mean! :surrender: I can understand how you feel and I have seen changes myself over the last few years. There is no doubt a market still exists for vintage fishing tackle and associated items, but selling them at a profit has certainly become more difficult! Thankfully, I do not keep a large stock of such items, generally adding enough items between fairs to justify having a table. As long as I can more than cover my costs (which I have done up to now) I will continue to search for items to re-sell, as I really enjoy it! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Please don't stop turning out to Romsey. I absolutely love it, I did spend £100, which isn't a lot, but in the right direction
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I agree with Old Man Oakley , I love attending the Romsey fair and this last one was very enjoyable , I literally spent every penny I took. Although I do appreciate it must be worthwhile for traders , but I would hate to lose it .

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I could have spent thousands at Romsey... my good lady kept me under control bless her, but I ended up spending everything I took with me...😜😎👍
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Romsey was the first fair I ever attended - must've been about 2012, or earlier. 2 Halls, rammed with buyers and sellers. Exhilarating atmosphere, spent loads! And, I seem to remember, bacon rolls courtesy of Steve's Mum? Or am I mistaken...?
I cannot remember if it was the first Romsey. Can anyone remember what year the first one was held?
Met Steve D after the event at his home to rummage through his spare room "stock"! Great chap doing an important job very well. Long may it continue.
Have met many TFFers there and exchanged/bought/sold a few bits. All really nice blokes.
I took a pal there this year for his first visit. He met several friends and had a good time yarning over coffee.
We managed to cobble together the right amount of cash to buy a rod for another (absent) friend of ours. Mercifully, the enterprise worked out really well. Capers such as that have a habit of going awry...particularly when relying on signal to a lake in the depths of the countryside!

Also love Redditch, to which I am going, again, in November. Amongst others, I have an appointment with a Mr Mills of that parish. Looking forward to a successful meeting.

See y'all there!
Mike

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Nice to see so many now familiar faces there, and put a face to a few more online voices both TFF and my own TART members as well as the usual stall holders. I went with a list but came away with a mint B James ‘Olympic’ for a bargain price and a couple of J W Youngs Ambidexes and a Felton Crosswind mk2 full bale, one of my favourite reels. Nice to see Roger there with an array of ‘Leather gear’, well reel pouches and float tubes, and Sparky Lee who I got the Ambidexs from. I really wanted to have a table there this year but health was again against me and the drive there and back put me out of commission for a couple of days after, but it was worth it and fingers crossed for Redditch in a few weeks too 😊

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Barbelbonce wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:24 pm Romsey was the first fair I ever attended - must've been about 2012, or earlier. 2 Halls, rammed with buyers and sellers. Exhilarating atmosphere, spent loads! And, I seem to remember, bacon rolls courtesy of Steve's Mum? Or am I mistaken...?
I cannot remember if it was the first Romsey. Can anyone remember what year the first one was held?
Met Steve D after the event at his home to rummage through his spare room "stock"! Great chap doing an important job very well. Long may it continue.
Have met many TFFers there and exchanged/bought/sold a few bits. All really nice blokes.
I took a pal there this year for his first visit. He met several friends and had a good time yarning over coffee.
We managed to cobble together the right amount of cash to buy a rod for another (absent) friend of ours. Mercifully, the enterprise worked out really well. Capers such as that have a habit of going awry...particularly when relying on signal to a lake in the depths of the countryside!

Also love Redditch, to which I am going, again, in November. Amongst others, I have an appointment with a Mr Mills of that parish. Looking forward to a successful meeting.

See y'all there!
Mike
Good to meet you Mike. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”