Flat steel wire for ratchet

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Flat steel wire for ratchet

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hi Chaps

Need some material sourcing help.
I have been trying to make a ratchet spring and pawl for a strikeright which very unsportingly seems to have lost them or some clumsy wassock misplaced them.
I bought to pair of Srikerghts off Ebay for pennies( an Arduraflo dexluxe and a Hydraflo and also a very nice Mitchel 300 with spare spools-bargain} for reference and I because I have a soft spot for small centrepins,
Anyways made a pawl whiich was quite fiddly given the holeage (is that a word?} and bent a spring out of spring steel wire. Ok so far so good put it aii back together and lo and behold it clicked -twice !
i have worked out what the issue is and that is the original factory spring was made out of FLAT wire to stay stay located on the pawl and my ROUND wire keeps jumping off and hiding under the pawl, perhaps it is shy :Chuckle:
Does anybody know where I can get flat spring wire and yes I did try Google to no avail so please can any one help or come up with an alternative solution ?
I did think of cutting a groove in the pawl but that might be beyond my megare skills and resources.

Thanks in advance and regards
Jeremy

Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Re: Flat steel wire for ratchet

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

posting.php?mode=reply&t=35548
From and continuing on from a previous topic
Regards
jeremy

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I dont know if they still have this but windscreen wiper blades used to have a flat spring steel strip along either side of the rubber blade. It was great for making springs such as the type you require.

Wal.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Send a PM with the width, thickness (these two very important) plus approximate length required.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

The gubbings inside an old door handle contains a flat spring.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I used flat wire from a hair grip to replace the spring wire in my Okuma Sheffield and it now work fine.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”