Wobbly Adcock Stanton.

The Other Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Wobbly Adcock Stanton.

Post by Willsmodger »

Hello, I thought, that's an Adcock Stanton, which was amongst a reel job lot off of the bay. All told 13 reels cost me £70 posted. I sold the rest, which weren't up to much for £40, which means effectively it cost me £30. Result!

Except......it wobbles. Why I don't know, I can't see any obvious problems. It spins for a month and more importantly, it is not possible, however gently the line is pulled, for it not to give line.

I've given it a polish with the Mothers Mag and its a definite user. Apart from the wobble.

Any ideas on fixes, contacts, etc to try to get it sorted?

Many thanks
Will.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Wobbly Adcock Stanton.

Post by Olly »

The the centre bearing can be replaced - I had one done but cannot remember who is it was???

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks Olly. I took it apart thinking it was probably just a loose screw on the spool or bearing boss, but I've tightened everything and it still wobbles.

Just to clarify, the spool is depressed at about the one o' clock position. It is perfectly level otherwise. If I had to guess I'd say it has been stored under something that has warped it.

I will try Gary Mills, but thought to avail myself of the great wisdom of this forum first. Thanks for your reply.

All the best
Will.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Will,
It sounds like it has one line pillar shorter than the others for some reason. Take the screw out nearest to the dip and see if it cures it.

Wal.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks Wal. I'll give that a try.

All the best.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

LATER EDIT - These comments are incorrect

From memory, there is a small pin near the bottom of the centre pin. This should fit into a recess on the spool boss. If it isn't fitted correctly there will be a slight tilt to the spool.

If you can spin the reel freely, there is nothing wrong with the bearings. Again from memory there is a slight and I mean slight clearance between the balls and the races but nothing to cause your problem. Additionally the screws and pillars were manufactured to close tolerances so I do not see that being a problem.

Look again at the pin locking mechanism before attempting anything else.

I will try to dissemble on of mine and post a few photo's
Last edited by Barbelseeker on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Opps - cannot find my unlocking key - tried to grind one out of a silver sixpence - now realise what a good conductor of heat silver is. (Says he blowing on his fingers)

maybe a few days - I have a funeral to attend at 11:30 today.

(Hope I am not mixing my pin details with the Hucknall/Rolls Royce reels)
Last edited by Barbelseeker on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

NO - Sorry - my comments are wrong - managed to strip mine down (the first time ever) and found that the back of my spool had been etched (hand done) with my name. P Olko for Peter Olko

Thanks Cliff

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks for your time and effort. Strangely enough I burnt my finger last night, sticking together a nylon strap.

It's a user, so I will get it looked at by someone eventually. No great rush. It's a funny beggar, rumbles a lot when sped up, yet turns like no other pin, of any make, I've ever used.

Many thanks again. Much appreciated.

All the best.
Will.

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

All my reel tweaks and delicate adjustments are done with a crow bar and club hammer so my imput is probably pointless.........However,I do a 24hr emergency call-out service and can be at your house in no time at all.If I get tea and a KitKat, NO CHARGE.

Return to “Other Reels”