Stick floats, pacemakers and balsas

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Stick floats, pacemakers and balsas

Post by Tengisgol »

Reading ‘Stick Float Wizardry’ (see other post) really got me thinking at the weekend. I am back on a stretch of river that I first fished in about 1991 and I am enjoying re-learning all its nooks and crannies (some have changed in 31 years!). I have got into a habit of always fishing heavy, with biggish handmade floats of elder pith and suchlike but is that a bad habit?

I emptied out my regular float tube and decided to have a look-see at what I may be ignoring and I was staggered to see so many of my old floats in there going completely ignored. I was thinking about a particular glide that used to contain a lot of fish decades ago, and how I might get back there and run a float at it. I think with some clever feeding and good angling with a lighter float (it is not a long cast or trot) I could really have some fun. We’ll see.

I always like looking at floats and I guess some of you do as well, so here is what I found. Included are one of the very first floats I bought - a Benny Ashurst stick - plus examples from Ray Mumford (the pacemaker I used to beat Allan Haines off the next peg on the Skjern), Pete Warren, Max Hastings, Drennan, Ultra - oh I could go on! Take me back to Richmond, the Barge Walk and Canbury Gardens!

I bet you can spot a few that have been used by TFF’ers in decades past.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Stick floats, pacemakers and balsas

Post by Dave Burr »

Your collection does bring back memories Phil although, on the sluggish rivers of Somerset, I was mainly a waggler man. But I have said before, back in the day we used the lightest gear possible, rods, lines, floats etc. Was it a sense of fair play or the belief that you had to go light to catch? The myth about going light or going home has long since been dispelled and nowadays I tend to use the heaviest float I can sensibly get away with, you may well have gone that way too.

You could spark a healthy debate. Good luck on your next trip :Thumb:

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Some lovely old floats there Phil.Somewhere in my float box there are some Pete Warren and John Dean sticks that haven't kissed water for yonks.Maybe a "use your oldest float day" is on the cards.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Those places you mention bring back memories! Of them all, I found Richmond most productive, fishing from the steps just upstream of the bridge. Mainly dace, although I once caught a tiny flounder.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I really enjoyed your post Phil, floats are addictive and like you I have acquired too many! My trotting skill is admittedly limited, so I have had more success using a 'waggler' over the years. I have sold off (or given away) examples by many of the well known match men, as I just wasn't likely to use them. What would I do with a large fluted balsa float for example? :surrender: ( no rude answers please) :Hahaha:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

You could play it in the float band.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Simple Ted - send them my way🤣

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Liphook wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:32 pm Simple Ted - send them my way🤣
I have already given them to two of my good TFF friends Alistair, so they will hopefully be used! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

I did the same a few months ago.
Someone gave me a tatty plastic float box.
I bought some foam inserts and tidied it up
Then I populated it with floats that were tucked away unused.
The result was a pleasant surprise

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”