A 'BIG Roach!

This forum is for discussing roach.
Catfish.017
Eel

A 'BIG Roach!

Post by Catfish.017 »

Well I've only gone and dunnit, a two pound Roach from the cut! Yesterday I dropped by to check the water colour at Huddlesford. It was good so today I set off at 10.00am with a big box of worms and Perch in mind. The water was slightly clearer than yesterday and the sun showed itself frequently making for meagre results through the morning and early afternoon, just a handful of six ouncers.
By this time I was on my 'banker' Bream swim catching more small Perch. I backtracked to a swim I fish occasionally for short periods. Thirty yards from a bridge with a big Holly on the far bank, I stumbled on this spot after seeing small fry fleeing from a good Perch one Winters afternoon. I have had some nice Roach, Hybrids and Perch from here before. Today, just after feeding a small amount of mash and chopped worm a boat went through quite sedately, lifting the silt in plumes. Not long after the float dipped positively and I was into a nice fish, a Roach which flashed quickly to the surface and came off! I knew I would be unlikely to get another chance, that's the way it is here, the bigger Roach being few and far between. Nevertheless I stayed another half an hour just in case, getting a couple more little Perch.
With just over an hour to go I went back to the Sailing Club entrance and fed chopped worms in my two customary spots, a couple of yards to the right and tight to the bank and a rod length out in front. Two half pound Perch came quickly from the near swim then nothing. A cast to the outer swim sat there a while then the float slid away steadily and the strike met firm resistance with the fish surfacing quickly in Roach fashion. I thought Christ if that's a Roach it's a good un. It splashed again showing red eye and fins and my heart leapt into my mouth. The cane spinning rod bucked alarmingly but thankfully all held and it slid into the net. I gasped out loud "look at that" unable to contain myself! It was in pretty good knick too just a few rough scales and it had to be two pounds, my third over that weight and banishing the disappointment of the earlier loss.
I took a couple of snaps with my "Mickey Mouse" phone and slipped it back gently. Double chuffed! Next cast curiously a Zander that rolled off at the net. I've tried to copy the snaps on to the iPad but it's not very successful.Image
The pale protrudence by the anal fin is two inches of one of the fat plastic disgorger the fish was lying on.

Troydog
Tench

Re: A 'BIG Roach!

Post by Troydog »

Very well done Catfish. 017 but I ALWAYS put big fish on a set of reliable scales. It’s the only way to know whether our weight estimate is high, low or spot on. Also, is the fish a PB or just another two…..
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Troydog wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:54 pm Very well done Catfish. 017 but I ALWAYS put big fish on a set of reliable scales. It’s the only way to know whether our weight estimate is high, low or spot on. Also, is the fish a PB or just another two…..
Knowing the exact weight is not important to me any more, hasn't been for a long time. The only big Roach I've weighed was caught in a match so scales were available. 1lb 15oz . Today's fish was pretty much the same length but deeper in the body and heavy shouldered. My two other Twos were bigger again, one from the Wye at Glasbury many years ago, the other from the Dorset Frome at Wareham more recently.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Heck of a roach from a canal Catfish :Thumb:

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Cracking roach Catfish.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

That’s very fair comment Catfish.017. You’d have thought I would have got over the numbers game at 72, but I guess old habits die hard. Actually, I’m 72 and a half now; 73 in six months time…..very sad !!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

What a wonderful roach. Well done!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Troydog wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:06 am That’s very fair comment Catfish.017. You’d have thought I would have got over the numbers game at 72, but I guess old habits die hard. Actually, I’m 72 and a half now; 73 in six months time…..very sad !!
Yes it's strange that although the weight of individual fish lacks importance to me, as an ex match angler I frequently find myself totting up a rough total sum of the day's bag. As you say Tim, old habits!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well done! Looks like a Whitefish to me! :Chuckle:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

It certainly looks like a roach to set the heart racing, one we'd all be happy to catch.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”