Allcocks delmatic 2

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Gone Fishing
Dace

Allcocks delmatic 2

Post by Gone Fishing »

My latest acquisition is this Allcocks Delmatic 2. The paint is off in a few places, which doesn't bother me personally because the price of £20 isn't much. However, the reel didn't work. So get to work. I completely disassembled the darling, cleaned it of grease and dirt and reassembled it with reel grease. The steel shafts were already a bit messed up, so they were smoothed out with 1200 grit paper. I was surprised by the built-in plastic sprockets. They hadn't expired. So now it's working again and I'm pretty happy with it. Here some pics...
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Duckett
Tench

Re: Allcocks delmatic 2

Post by Duckett »

Nice job! I never got used to the swan neck and gave mine to my brother!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

Hi Phil,
thank you...It's my first delmatic and the first thing I thought was that an awful lot of plastic was used. I don't like that. I find goose neck interesting. But I haven't fished with them yet, so I can't say anything about the technology yet. Why don't you like this fishing reel?
Best regards
Markus

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

I have a Delmatic 2 and I can't decide if it's the most stylish or the ugliest reel I own.....
Either way, they are interesting pieces of English fishing tackle history.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Gone Fishing wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:01 pm Hi Phil,
thank you...It's my first delmatic and the first thing I thought was that an awful lot of plastic was used. I don't like that. I find goose neck interesting. But I haven't fished with them yet, so I can't say anything about the technology yet. Why don't you like this fishing reel?
Best regards
Markus
I find the way you hold it on the rod, hand in front of the swan neck, awkward and uncomfortable. Others will know more but I seem to recall reading that the Delmatic 2 was the last fixed spool mass produced by a U.K. company in the U.K., so deserving of its place in history even with the, presumably cheaper, parts.

Note added 11/12/2022 - I just recalled that the plastic used for the gears is Delrin (Polyoxymethylene), which is still used for gears and bushes today. It was only invented in 1954 and I’m guessing the reel was named for it. Probably considered very high tech at the time.

Phil
Last edited by Duckett on Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Delmatics ....I really enjoy using them.
I have three last count all mk2

The point raised regarding the swan neck reel stem .I too struggled at first but these reels came in to play when rod handles were a bit shorter in length.
I find if you place the reel a little further down the rod handle this allows room to hold just above the first reel band nearest the top of the rod cork handle and the whole feel of rod and reel changes and is very comfortable to handle.

As an example Anyone who owns a Allcocks Lightcaster spinning rod and a Delmatic will demonstrate this point well especially when a more conventional reel is tried to compare the difference

Enjoy your reel whatever your thoughts.

All the best-Nige.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

TrentFisher wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:40 pm Delmatics ....I really enjoy using them.
I have three last count all mk2

The point raised regarding the swan neck reel stem .I too struggled at first but these reels came in to play when rod handles were a bit shorter in length.
I find if you place the reel a little further down the rod handle this allows room to hold just above the first reel band nearest the top of the rod cork handle and the whole feel of rod and reel changes and is very comfortable to handle.

As an example Anyone who owns a Allcocks Lightcaster spinning rod and a Delmatic will demonstrate this point well especially when a more conventional reel is tried to compare the difference

Enjoy your reel whatever your thoughts.

All the best-Nige.
That’s extremely interesting. I have a W A Allcocks Light Caster and may have to try it out on that next time I fish with my brother.

Phil

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

That is very interesting information and opinions from you. Thank you :Thumb: . Now I understand why plastic gears were used. And the best thing is: I also have a Light Caster... :Wink:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I loved my Delmatic and, if I remember correctly, the first fish I had on it was a barbel which it dealt with very well. However, I broke the bail arm later and, it would seem that replacements and unicorn eggs are stored on the same shelf.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

The material used for the gears is a hardwareing Delrin machined .Terry

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”