The ideal lift float

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: The ideal lift float

Post by Olly »

SENSAS do a range of removable fluorescent paints - applicable in 3 colours for different light conditions.

A sunken float - in a video by John Hofgartner - shows a slightly different use of the 'lift method'.

Peacock quills - I have a few full feathers next to me - go as thin as or even thinner at the end than many others!

When buying cut lengths of peacock some can be quite thick - - an inch or two insert of the end of a peacock quill negates that. As used Ray Mumford and later by Bill Rushmer and myself - plus many others I suspect!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:16 pm SENSAS do a range of removable fluorescent paints - applicable in 3 colours for different light conditions.

A sunken float - in a video by John Hofgartner - shows a slightly different use of the 'lift method'.

Peacock quills - I have a few full feathers next to me - go as thin as or even thinner at the end than many others!

When buying cut lengths of peacock some can be quite thick - - an inch or two insert of the end of a peacock quill negates that. As used Ray Mumford and later by Bill Rushmer and myself - plus many others I suspect!
That’s a good point about the tips of peacock quills. I’ve only ever prepped about a dozen, all in the last 6 weeks, and found them far tricker than goose and seagull to trim the feather off to the very end. I clearly need more practice!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Duckett wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:09 pm
Olly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:16 pm SENSAS do a range of removable fluorescent paints - applicable in 3 colours for different light conditions.

That’s a good point about the tips of peacock quills. I’ve only ever prepped about a dozen, all in the last 6 weeks, and found them far tricker than goose and seagull to trim the feather off to the very end. I clearly need more practice!

Phil
Try sandpaper.

Alan

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

4" of plain peacock quill held on with a double float rubber at the base and 1 AAA... all you need
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ryeman wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:24 pm
Duckett wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:09 pm

Phil
Try sandpaper.

Alan
Thanks Alan. I’ve been trimming with very sharp scissors, then sanding (with very fine emery board actually as that’s what I use for my railway modelling) but I clearly need to try sandpaper as a gentle alternative on the tips.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Hi Phil. You don't need to cut the feather off with scissors. Just get a small sheet of good quality abrasive paper. 150 or 180 grit. Lubrisil is good. Fold it into three, and simply sand the feather off. This works on all quills -goose, seagull, - not just on peacock. At the thin end , rest the quill on the bench.

Alan

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Aitch wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:26 pm 4" of plain peacock quill held on with a double float rubber at the base and 1 AAA... all you need
You know how I like to elaborate things Aitch 😂🤣😂🤣

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

The "Lift Method" and Tench are inseparable,though other species are catchable too! Crucians particularly can fall more readily to this method when in a tricky mood. But to come back to the Tench, the reason Fred J used a swan shot close to the hook was to minimise the wafting effect of the fishes pectoral fins moving the bait around, pinning it down effectively so the Tench don't have to chase it around. So if a swan shot or more is employed there is nothing to gain from using fine tipped ultra sensitive floats. The time honoured short length of peacock quill works admirably, is very visible and supports the weight of the shot as it lifts so the fish feels nothing until the float is flat on the surface by which time I have always struck the bite, never waiting as some suggest until the float recocks and slides away.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I too would opt for a 4” length of peacock quill, but attached by the bottom end only, so as to sink the line a bit and help to reduce surface drift.
I admit that it’s thrilling to watch half a yard of multicoloured float tip rising from the surface like a Polaris missile, but it ain’t necessary.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Lots of good information there chaps. Thanks to all who contributed, and as ever, tight lines!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”