Maximum practical diameter of a centrepin reel

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Phil Arnott
Chub

Re: Maximum practical diameter of a centrepin reel

Post by Phil Arnott »

The diameter of the larger reel in this photo which qualifies as a Scarborough reel is 8.5in. I have cast with a Scarborough reel and I've seen guys casting around 70yds with one. There were some made specifically for boat fishing at one time.

The diameter of this Dam Robo is just under 6in. I've not fished with it but having had a think about it I was considering clipping an extra eye, on a leg, to the rod because of the big distance between the spool and the first eye. I don't like bringing the line off the reel next to the rod although it would be less prone to problems. It's a very free running reel helped by the large diameter which helps the line pull off the spool (more leverage or torque in this case). It's the moment of inertia which determines how freely the spool spins. Obviously the bearings have an impact but the weight and distribution of material in the spool have a big effect. The Robo is exceptional in achieving this with an excellent bearing and large diameter and very light spool.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Watermole+ wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:43 pm JAA and Olly; there’s no substitute for experience and you gentlemen clearly know what works best for you-so far be it for me to disagree!

My thoughts are that Wide drum reels, in particular Aerial reels, were needed before the advent of modern monofilament line to dry it between casts. If a large diameter modern reel can effectively retrieve 12” of line per turn-or three turns to the yard-and a trot of even 50 yards is made, then there are 150 turns of line in use, which could easily fit within a line drum of less than one inch, without too much build up, modern line not needing to be spaced out in the same way.
I have always found narrower width reels easier handle-but that is only a personal opinion. Others like very wide reels and they are just as much entitled to theirs.

Very wide reels also give the option of having two different breaking strain lines on the same drum; one on each side.

wm+
Ah I'd forgotten that most 'pins were intended for use with lines that needed drying and were probably thicker than modern lines - 150 yards of 18lb Fireline takes up very little room!
:Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

When long-trotting, my fish-less retrieve involves a sweep upstream of the rod and then a bat to get the reel spinning as I then move the rod to point downstream, as a now spinning reel puts the line on at great pace. Not sure how well I have described that but with practice you can retrieve quicker than with a fixed spool.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A standard old method to trotters!

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”