Yorkshire Vintage Angling Fair 2nd April 2023

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Yorkshire Vintage Angling Fair 2nd April 2023

Post by Lea Dweller »

It looks and sounds as if the Yorkshire Fair was a great success! I may well attend the next one, as I was born in Rotherham just before the end the war in February 1945. My Mother had been evacuated from London, so the family that she stayed with in Thrybergh became my Godparents. It would be nice to re-visit the place that I was born, although it may well not be there any longer. My Sister, who has a better memory than me, says that I was born in Park Drive Thrybergh, but I can only find a Park Vale Drive using google? I may just come up for a couple of days and have a look around the area, then go to the next Yorkshire Tackle Fair! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Barbelseeker is too modest - his four biggest fish alone would have weighed more than my total catch!
But I did love those perfect little bars of gold Crucians, which were of a very decent average size, most around the pound mark and a few a bit bigger. They are designed to be caught on a light cane rod and little Nottingham reel, such as we were using on Saturday.

So my thanks again for your hospitality , Peter.
And for the jars of your home-made marmalade, Greengage conserve, curry paste, Black & Decker Workmate ... when I got home, my wife Karen said the back of my car looked like the Generation Game conveyor belt of prizes. A cuddly toy on my next visit, perhaps?

I had collected an Aspindales Aero 890 on Friday, so was resolved to keep my hands in my pockets on Sunday. Until I saw the beautiful Aspindales Matchdale rod on Adrian Richardson's table.
"Pick it up", he said.
I did.
But I didn't put it down again.
:surrender: :Thumb:

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

A big thank you to Andy for organising such a very enjoyable fair - and for his kind advice, both beforehand and on the day. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance Andy and I'll definitely be back again!

As is so often the case, especially as a 'first timer', it was all a bit of a whirl with rather less time than I would have liked to chat at length and get to know people. Not that I didn't spend much of the time in enjoyable conversation.

I've deduced from the talk of Pontefract cakes, that my table was next to Wanderer and Breadflake's?

The bag I received was much appreciated, although I didn't get a look-in as my good lady pounced on them as soon as I got home!

Already looking forward to next time!
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Your good lady is lucky - I had polished mine off before the fair finished. Daren't tell the wife that freebies were handed out!
Last edited by Barbelseeker on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:05 am It looks and sounds as if the Yorkshire Fair was a great success! I may well attend the next one, as I was born in Rotherham just before the end the war in February 1945. My Mother had been evacuated from London, so the family that she stayed with in Thrybergh became my Godparents. It would be nice to re-visit the place that I was born, although it may well not be there any longer. My Sister, who has a better memory than me, says that I was born in Park Drive Thrybergh, but I can only find a Park Vale Drive using google? I may just come up for a couple of days and have a look around the area, then go to the next Yorkshire Tackle Fair! :Hat:
Does anyone in the TFF know if Park Drive Thrybergh still exists, as I cannot find it using google? :Hat:
Confucius

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Barbelseeker wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:34 pm Your good lay is lucky - I had polished mine off before the fair finished. Daren't tell the wife that freebies were handed out!
Do you know something about John's wife that he doesn't? :Chuckle:
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Well spotted.......... :Hahaha:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

:shocked: Corrected

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Lea Dweller

Question - Have you checked your birth certificate for correct address?

My Sister, who has a better memory than me, says that I was born in Park Drive Thrybergh, but I can only find a Park Vale Drive using google

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Barbelseeker wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:19 am Lea Dweller

Question - Have you checked your birth certificate for correct address?

My Sister, who has a better memory than me, says that I was born in Park Drive Thrybergh, but I can only find a Park Vale Drive using google
Thank you for replying, the answer to your question is No, but I will try to find my birth certificate to check! :Ok:
Confucius

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”