A simple grayling nymph (tutorial)

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

A simple grayling nymph (tutorial)

Post by Ian »

Quality or quantity,that is the question. I would plump for quantity when it comes to grayling nymphs because I would expect to lose a few to the river bed. At this time of year I want the nymphs to reach the bottom,and quickly,so yes I will lose a few.

:Hat:
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: A simple grayling nymph (tutorial)

Post by Olly »

A heavy bottom bouncing nymph - certainly good for any extra water!

Leigh
Dace

Post by Leigh »

Thanks for this step by step guide Ian, I want to start fly tying so its very useful 👍
@theimperialangler

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That's got grayling written all over it Ian 🎯 A touch of red is often very effective. These days I use the Hanak jig style hooks and slotted tungsten beads for most of my deep nymphs. The upside down hook point is very handy for reducing snagging and keeping hooks points sharp

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Liphook wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:05 pm That's got grayling written all over it Ian 🎯 A touch of red is often very effective. These days I use the Hanak jig style hooks and slotted tungsten beads for most of my deep nymphs. The upside down hook point is very handy for reducing snagging and keeping hooks points sharp
Yes the jig hooks are good Liphook. I haven’t tied on one but I’ve used them and they are good at hooking the fish. I’m sure the eye was side on and underneath the shank,if I remember correctly 👍

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Leigh wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:40 pm Thanks for this step by step guide Ian, I want to start fly tying so its very useful 👍
You will enjoy it Leigh,it’s the fly fishers version of float making. All the flies I put on the forum are proven fish catchers and pretty simple to tie👍

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Olly wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:59 pm A heavy bottom bouncing nymph - certainly good for any extra water!
They sink fast thanks to both the bead and lead.
Handy when fishing a short line 👍

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Ian wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:40 am
Liphook wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:05 pm That's got grayling written all over it Ian 🎯 A touch of red is often very effective. These days I use the Hanak jig style hooks and slotted tungsten beads for most of my deep nymphs. The upside down hook point is very handy for reducing snagging and keeping hooks points sharp
Yes the jig hooks are good Liphook. I haven’t tied on one but I’ve used them and they are good at hooking the fish. I’m sure the eye was side on and underneath the shank,if I remember correctly 👍

That's right Ian, the eye sits in-line with the hook shank which along with the tungsten slotted bead encourages the USD presentation. These work best with the Rapala loop knot in my opinion. Learn to 'massage' this knot into place and it can be tied small and neat whilst still giving added articulation to the fly :Hat:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Liphook wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:34 am
Ian wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:40 am

That's right Ian, the eye sits in-line with the hook shank which along with the tungsten slotted bead encourages the USD presentation. These work best with the Rapala loop knot in my opinion. Learn to 'massage' this knot into place and it can be tied small and neat whilst still giving added articulation to the fly :Hat:
I will take a look at the rapala loop knot Liphook and I might just get a packet of jig hooks to tie on. I might even cross over to jig hooks as they defo work👍

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Great looking fly Ian. I have always liked that wine color for brookies and cutthroat. There's just something about the color the fish key in on and I have to wonder if the fish think it's blood.

As soon as I'm finished with the fly tying expo I will have time once again to start posting some of my horrid looking flies once again. So keep it up with your tying and post them up so we can enjoy seeing your talent. :cheers:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “Fly Tying”