Allcocks Holdwell

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Allcocks Holdwell

Post by Duckett »

Can anyone tell me if this was ever made with a split cane tip section?

I’m very fond of my version with a glass tip and I’ve read they came earlier with greenheart tips.

Cheers,

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

MGs
Pike

Re: Allcocks Holdwell

Post by MGs »

In short, yes. I have the 12' version. The cane tip is as fine as anything I have seen. I'm wary of using it on any water where there is a chance of carp.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Rod Fisher wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:53 pm
Duckett wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:36 pm Can anyone tell me if this was ever made with a split cane tip section?

I’m very fond of my version with a glass tip and I’ve read they came earlier with greenheart tips.

Cheers,

Phil :Hat:
I believe the Holdwell always came with a split cane tip section, no?
The Viking has a greenheart tip.
No, it definitely came as an original with a glass tip. I’ve seen loads and own one. I also saw it in a catalogue before a purchased. Lovely Roach and Rudd rod, though I’ve landed much larger fish on it! Greenheart was from memory.

I have a Viking with an original split cane tip with ceramic inserts tip and butt - green label 10 foot 6 inch version. Lovely light rod.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

It is indeed!

Phil

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

1966 catalogue:-

Viking - 3 joints - whole cane butt and joint and fibreglass top. - Ally reel fitting - 84/- + 14/- Purchased Tax (No length mentioned??)

Holdwell - Two models - 3 joints - whole cane butt and joint and hollow fibre glass top - 2 colour whippings - - - - - - - - - -
Length 10.5ft - 114/- + 19/- P TAX
Length 12ft - 120/- + 20/- P Tax

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

A good few years ago I bought a 10' 6" Holdwell from a dealer at a Mullocks Auction. It had a split cane top and a gold oval transfer. It was whipped in green with red tippets and was in lovely condition appearance wise but sadly the split cane top had gone soft. I eventually cut it up and turned it into a ten foot spliced top Sheffield type rod.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I have had two Holdwells.One was a light rod,the other quite powerful.They both had split cane tips.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

My 1953, 1956 and 1959 catalogues show the Viking (10 1/2ft and 12ft) with a greenheart top and the Holdwell (11ft) with a built cane top.

Not certain when they changed but in the 1963 and 1966 catalogues it shows the Holdwell with a hollow glass top instead of built cane and the Viking in both lengths is shown with a fibreglass top ( doesn't say Hollow glass so probably solid glass).

The Holdwell was introduced in 1953, along with the Record Breaker. Not certain when the Viking was first introduced.

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Many thanks everyone.

Phil

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hi, I also have a Holdwell Oval Gold transfer 12ft long with a split cane tip I use it on my local canal.

Trevor

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”