Luton shops.

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Luton shops.

Post by Bayleaf »

I grew up in Luton in the 50s and started fishing at about 10, years that is not 10am. The first shop I used was Luton Angling Supplies run by Ted, I remember the smells of varnish and rhe jars of red topped floats (why did all floats of memory have red tops). We then used a shop in the corner of a large Co-Op where I bought my Intrepid Regent, can you imagine buying maggots in a shop that also sold food? After a house move Angler's Corner became favourite, this was a truly traditional place and I bought several Fibatube blanks from them; I think they closed when the owner retired. This left Leslie's of Luton as pretty much the only shop in town, time had moved on and a visit here was remembered by the sweet smells of carp bait and continental groundbait.
Mustn't forget Alan Brown in Hitchin where I bought a lovely set of blanks for a trotting rod.

Hope this wasn't too boring.

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Re: Luton shops.

Post by Wanderer »

Intrepid Regent.
I have one and it still gets occasional use.
Nice reels.
Do you still have yours ?
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

No, no Regent but I do have the Elite I always wanted then.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Most, if not all of the old shops have gone and the smells and atmoshpere have gone as well.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

That wasn't boring, in fact quite interesting, thank you for posting.

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

True, online finished them off. Sadly my nearest shop is around an hour away although all I need usually is line or hooks and I can get those online....ahem!

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Definitely not boring. John Andrews showed me an old fishing net a few years ago that just reeked of old fishing tackle shops. The git wouldn't sell it to me.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Fredline wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:16 pm Definitely not boring. John Andrews showed me an old fishing net a few years ago that just reeked of old fishing tackle shops. The git wouldn't sell it to me.
I found this one recently and it still has that aroma :eyebrow:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

By the time I started Partridge had become a toy shop but I still associated it with a particular smell as there was a coffee roaster next door. I think the fishing department in the Co-Op was originally there.
I well remember those landing nets, the brass rivets would often shear, the Efgeeco spreader block put paid to that.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”