Blae and black wet (tutorial)

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

Blae and black wet (tutorial)

Post by Ian »

Two styles,one great fly. Along with the teal and black this a killer pattern for brown trout. Here I’ve tied a down wing version and a Clyde style up wing
Version. The down wing version is fished in fast water with a down and across cast and constantly mending the line to ease the fly round as slow as possible. The Clyde style up wing is fished by casting upstream on a slower glide and allowing it come come down on a dead drift. Wether it’s the down wing or up wing the trout find this pattern irresistible and it can be used anytime of the season.

Down wing blae and black

Materials
Black thread 8/0 (body)
Black floss (body
Silver wire (rib)
Golden pheasant tippet (tail)
Black hen (hackle)
Left and right secondary grouse feathers (wings). Waterhen are now protected but there’s plenty of other bird feathers that will do the job.

Clyde style up wing blae and black.

Materials
Black thread 0/8 (body)
Black hen (hackle)
Starling secondary feather (wing). Starling is soft and easy to fold. Snipe would also work.

If I had to choose between these two styles then I would go with the down wing,but without the tail. I much prefer the down and across style of fly fishing. Having to work the line to present the fly at just the right speed,and hoping it’s the right fly. Well you can’t go too far wrong with the blae and black because it represents lots of different species of fly.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Re: Blae and black wet (tutorial)

Post by Iasgair »

Ian, great flies my friend.
I have been using mallard wings for my Black & Blae flies.

I'm glad I saw this and the section you put in about the waterhen being protected. When did that happen? I was looking for a waterhen skin here in the USA but the two places that used to sell it no longer have them. So I thought about asking you if you could send me a skin. Then I noticed the price if waterhen. That's some expensive bird there.
I hear coot is a good substitute for waterhen and its much cheaper in price. So I ordered some from ebay because its the only place I could find it.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “Fly Tying”