Andrew Field Floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Andrew Field Floats

Post by Duckett »

Is it sacrilege that I won 3 Andrew Field quill floats in a TFF auction and use one for trotting and one for stillwater? :Scared: Frankly, they are so well made, you can’t tell they’ve been used! :Cool:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

It occurred to me the other day that despite the divided opinions so many of our current float makers seem to emulate Andrew Field. He has probably had the greatest influence on float making since Billy Lane.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Aquaerial wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:30 pm It occurred to me the other day that despite the divided opinions so many of our current float makers seem to emulate Andrew Field. He has probably had the greatest influence on float making since Billy Lane.
Bearing in mind that he served his “apprenticeship” by copying the likes of Paul Cook when he first started out (I know that for a fact being friends with Paul) and that Sussex Micky who is also a friend has been making floats to an incredibly high standard since well before Andrew field was born I really cam’t honestly support that view… sorry…
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Off the top of my head I can't think of any modern float makers that he's influenced apart from a few unknowns that show there wares on Facebook that think it's cool to stick feathers on their floats. Certainly didn't influence me as I opted to put feathers inside my floats! :Chuckle:

Can't doubt the quality though.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I think there’s a big difference between the innovators in float-making and what Andrew has done. Andrew is a good friend and we spoke often about floats and design when he was just starting out.

Some of the true innovators and influencers I would call out since Billy Lane’s time would include the following:

Ivan Marks and all his ideas, to include those that developed the massive zoomer-type floats to fish the Fens. The Trent anglers that went on a journey with stick float making that experimented with various canes, materials and shapes as they hunted a perfect stick float. The development of pole floats and those that adopted European methods into their fishing. Peter Drennan and his development of a range of floats and using new materials.The canal and caster anglers that developed their balsa and insert floats. Just a few thoughts and please forgive any inaccuracies.

My approach - when I am not being a bit lazy and grabbing a float out the box because I like its aesthetics - is to try and mimic some of these ideas but into something using natural materials and a more pleasing finish.

Andrew is not so much an innovator in terms of design than an Artist. That art has very few peers and his floats are things of utter beauty and phenomenon .
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

I'm baffled by their popularly to be honest. I like a float way more than the next guy, but it would never occur to me to buy or make a float with inlaid feathers and the like, or any float I cared overmuch about losing. Still, all sorts. :Hat:
Last edited by JAA on Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I auctioned off my Andrew Field and Paul Cook floats on here a while back. I came to the conclusion that if it worry's me to lose a float it means that I am not casting as close to the bulrushes or trees as I should be.

Personally I cant see the point of them sitting in a drawer just waiting till I'm gone. :Hahaha:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

JAA wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:04 am I'm baffled by their popularly to be honest. I like a float <i>way more</i> than the next guy, but it would never occur to me to buy or make a float with inlaid feathers and the like, or any float I cared overmuch about losing. Still, all sorts. :Hat:
I've become attached to floats that I've found floating in the river more than I have to my own or a few expensive ones made by prestigious makers. One imparticular was a small plastic cross between a stick float and an avon that served me very well trotting on the Thames and was my go to float. Sadly lost on the Thames whilst trotting, alas !
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Mark wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:31 am I auctioned off my Andrew Field and Paul Cook floats on here a while back. I came to the conclusion that if it worry's me to lose a float it means that I am not casting as close to the bulrushes or trees as I should be.

Personally I cant see the point of them sitting in a drawer just waiting till I'm gone. :Hahaha:
I’m still using 2 of the 3 Andrew Field TFF branded floats that I won in one of your auctions Mark. Neither has been lost though, I have to admit, the third is in a box!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

For me there is one attribute that separates esteemed float makers and it’s not the aesthetic or as Phil mentions the phenomenon. But in the need, the desire and the generosity in there making and conclusion. I can only think of ‘one’ chap who meets that criteria - in a world where everything has a price it’s good to know that a kindness in spirit outweighs all else. I know a whole lot of us have benefitted from his generosity, close friends or not so.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”