Allcocks superb… gold oval label.

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks superb… gold oval label.

Post by Olly »

My Guides are '66 and '67. I have been trying - half-heartedly I might add - to get earlier ones with the green/black label or the gold label.

So the Guides show last of the Superbs, Carp and Avon, and the start of the Carp/Avon rod.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Either or both - if/when I can afford them!

I think I am well covered for tench/carp/barbel/etc with other rods, Hardy LRH2s, Aspindale Goldendales, Sharpes, etc.

I have looked at Allcocks float rods but due to my shoulder complaints, both of them, I have stuck with the lighter black stuff! But still have some Aspindales, etc, just in case for a day! Most cane rods now go in the rest much of the time.

I have with an Allcocks label (none gold) a Record Breaker - Super Wizard - Avon Superb - Carp/Avon (with 2 butt sections!).
And a gold label 9ft Hercules. Sold my Harvey Torbett though - it required repairs to the top joint.

Strange about the New Superb - mentioned in the '66 guide in the preface to the Carp Superb.

I do suspect that like LRH rods the Hercules was used for carping and possibly led to the gold label Superb - suitable for salmon & carp?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Not seen a Brownie so earlier catalogues may spur me on!

I have an original Aspindale Avon, 11ft, 2 joint, whole cane butt section, whole cane with spliced in split cane tip. Judging from the Avon 2 I also have, this may be one of the first rods Aspindale made, but not sure. Very light but also very fragile.

I have another the same but with a very long handle waiting for restoration and handle length reduction.

Tom Watson had a very similar rod either the Midge, Wasp or Hornet I think.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Had a great read through! A lot of pages - but very interesting nevertheless.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:17 am That three-piece carp rod is very rare and was only listed for the one year. Ted ( Lea Dweller) had one once and it's the only example I ever saw.

Edit: It seems it was actually listed for three Guides but it must have sold poorly. Probably because everyone was buying a Mk IV of some kind or other.

Dick Walker had tried to get Allcock on-side with a carp rod and I don't think he ever forgave them for showing no interest. Strange that they never made mention that it was their cane he built his first Mk IVs with, preferring instead to mention that he used their hooks. There is a Guide out of the usual two-year sequence and I've long suspected it was to include mention of Dick's record fish....and their hooks.
I still have my three piece Allcock Superb, I used it last year in the company of Allrounder and Paul F to catch my PB Barbel! It was advertised as being 'Built to land a 40lb Carp' and has 'beefed up' fittings. There are pictures of my rod on this site somewhere? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'm certain all this information is on the site somewhere but, I'll have a stab at what my unreliable memory will churn out. I think that the three-piece rod was the early version but was replaced by a two-piece carp rod. Bit fuzzy here but the Superb and new superb came next as carp rods. They have a pleasing progressive test curve whereas the Avon had a softer through action. They bear little similarity.

The Carp Avon, having a detachable handle, is a totally different animal. Due to this, I never felt happy when the Avon was under a lot of pressure, the difference between the heavy bottom and the softer top through a short ferrule always made me cringe. The carp top, again unique, was how the rod performed best inmho. It is heavier than the superb and the power is nicely delivered through the blank.

I've sold all of mine now so cannot give you any measurements.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The Avon Superb is an Avon rod - nothing to do with carp! So I suppose that it has a t/c of about a pound.
I will check when I can and also measure the cane in places with my 'digital caliper'.

The '66 and '67 catalogues differ in their descriptions of the Avon Superb:-
'66 - ""stop chub & barbel in fast water""
'67 - "" fast tip suitable for dace as well as chub""
So a bit different!

A look at the '66 catalogue describes the Carp Superb being ""Based upon the Allcock New Superb and the Lee Carp"".
Anyone have a Lee Carp for comparison?

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”