Allcocks superb… gold oval label.

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Chelsea
Gudgeon

Allcocks superb… gold oval label.

Post by Chelsea »

I’m new here so still a little unsure if I’m posting this in the correct place ?

I have a gold label Allcocks superb. I have seen on posts from old that there was a discussion about wether allcocks produced a gold label carp rod.

I also saw In an old post regarding the superb in which someone listed the catalog entries regarding the superb dated 1959 and that it is a carp rod.

Has anyone got anymore information regarding the superb? Wether it definitely is a carp rod ? If it is I do have gold label superb which would suggest that allcocks did indeed produce a gold label carp rod.

I’ve uploaded the old posts regarding the rod and a couple of pictures of my rod. Hopefully someone can help.

Regards

Dan

Chelsea
Gudgeon

Re: Allcocks superb… gold oval label.

Post by Chelsea »

Thanks you so much for the swift reply. Very helpful. I did try to upload the pictures of the rod but I obviously didn’t do it correctly.

Thanks again for your help, Rod Fisher!

Chelsea
Gudgeon

Post by Chelsea »

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The rod in the '59 catalogue is I think the first labelled Superb - 3 joint.

In the '66 catalogue there is both an Avon Superb and a Carp Superb. Where it mentions that the Carp Superb is based upon the previous Lee Superb and an Allcocks New Superb, this is after the Noris Shakespeare takeover.

The Carp/Avon has no 'Superb' wording.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I don't think it was. I have one and a '66 Avon Superb - - very different in rings and handle.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've had the Superb, New Superb and Avon Superb and Carp/Avon. I thought the three-piece Superb was an earlier rod intended as a carp rod but, so are the two-piece ones. I used my Superbs for chub and barbel but would only have entertained the use for carp if they were smaller fish into double figures. Lovely rods though.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Interesting -
My Avon Superb (1966/7 - A 235) has a 26in handle - with no lined rings - with intermediates - plus 2 reel rings.

My Carp/Avon (1967 - A238) on the other hand has a 28in handle with lined tip and butt - with no intermediates - plus a bronze screw winch fitting.

Neither rod above weigh the same although the catalogues, 1966 & 1967, say different at 9.5oz! A gross miscalculation esp with th Carp/Avon with the screw winch fitting.

My 9ft Allcocks Hercules has all lined agate rings and a screw winch fitting (that I replaced with 2 individual rings) - plus intermediates.
This is a very powerful rod when compared with the two above.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Oh dear! Seems we have lost the plot! :Hat:

Chelsea's rod is a 10ft Superb carp rod - - - it may or may not be similar to the 10ft Hercules. I have neither so unable to comment. I do have a 9ft version which appears more than capable to be used for carp fishing - which is my intended use.

I dont understand the copying and repeating of my comments:-
?? In the '66 catalogue there is both an Avon Superb and a Carp Superb. Where it mentions that the Carp Superb is based upon the previous Lee Superb and an Allcocks New Superb
If we're being picky, the "Carp Superb" is described as being based on the Lee "Carp" and the Allcocks "New Superb".??

I thought I stated that?

I have pair of B James Avons and several Goldendales which includes Avon type rods - but none are similar to the Carp/Avon. Which has the same butt section for each top joint.

I think the Carp/Avon, A239, is a compromise of 2 excellent rods the, A235 and A238. But it is just that, a compromise.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Of course :Hat: - if I can answer them! :Confused:

I will now read the Wizard article - having One Super Wizard and two Aero Wizards!

Amended:- I have now re-read the article yesterday - 15/3/23. :Thumb:
Last edited by Olly on Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That three-piece carp rod is very rare and was only listed for the one year. Ted ( Lea Dweller) had one once and it's the only example I ever saw.

Edit: It seems it was actually listed for three Guides but it must have sold poorly. Probably because everyone was buying a Mk IV of some kind or other.

Dick Walker had tried to get Allcock on-side with a carp rod and I don't think he ever forgave them for showing no interest. Strange that they never made mention that it was their cane he built his first Mk IVs with, preferring instead to mention that he used their hooks. There is a Guide out of the usual two-year sequence and I've long suspected it was to include mention of Dick's record fish....and their hooks.
Last edited by Nobby on Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”