Folding trout net suggestions

General fly fishing chat area.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Folding trout net suggestions

Post by Lea Dweller »

Is there a modern equivalent of the folding trout net that John Wilson used to attach to the ring on the back of his fishing 'waiscoat'? My Son is hoping to try trout fishing and I have already given him my John Wilson waistcoat! I can source a rod and reel for him, but a net of the right type is a must! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Folding trout net suggestions

Post by Olly »

Hi Ted - lots of versions - manual clip - magnetic clip - - long handle to very short handle!

I use a Gye net over the shoulder or a rubber net with a pole & spike to stick in the ground - - for my salmon.
I no longer or very rarely trout fish - river (possible wading) or reservoir?

PS - Just looked through his 'Greatest Fishing Adventures' - strange but I saw nothing caught that would fit in a folding net! :Hahaha:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Olly wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:28 pm Hi Ted - lots of versions - manual clip - magnetic clip - - long handle to very short handle!

I use a Gye net over the shoulder or a rubber net with a pole & spike to stick in the ground - - for my salmon.
I no longer or very rarely trout fish - river (possible wading) or reservoir?

PS - Just looked through his 'Greatest Fishing Adventures' - strange but I saw nothing caught that would fit in a folding net! :Hahaha:
Thank you, he has caught some big fish hasn't he! :Ok: I believe he had a 'Wanderer' range of products and I have seen him using a folding net that he had attached to the ring on the back of his waistcoat (on you tube) but not sure what the new equivalent would be? :Hat:
Confucius

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

This is the best sort of general "traditional" trout net to carry around Ted.
There seem to be quite a few variations but one similar to this would be ideal.

The 'triangle' is about 17" each side and is very, very light. It could accommodate fish up to 5 lbs comfortably, clips on to a ring on the fishing bag and can be quickly released.

I replaced the original knotted net with a new, legal one of the same size some time ago.

Click on the pictures for better viewing.

Regards to all,

wm+ :Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Watermole+ wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:43 am This is the best sort of general "traditional" trout net to carry around Ted.
There seem to be quite a few variations but one similar to this would be ideal.

The 'triangle' is about 17" each side and is very, very light. It could accommodate fish up to 5 lbs comfortably, clips on to a ring on the fishing bag and can be quickly released.

I replaced the original knotted net with a new, legal one of the same size some time ago.

Click on the pictures for better viewing.

Regards to all,

wm+ :Hat:
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I think that the only problem is the net size! Apparently my Son went trout fishing ONCE with some friends last year and caught an 8lb Trout in a still water fishery! As these fisheries clearly hold large fish, I think he will need a bigger net! The net that you have shown looks superb, but as I have said, one of this size would be too small! :Hat:
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have watched a couple of JW's trout fishing videos. He seems to have the net attached in the middle of his back. He reaches for it with his left hand and with a simple movement it is in his hand! How it is clipped/attached to him I cannot see.

If he wants/needs a larger net a Gye for seatrout would be suitable - as I previously said. They do come in either salmon or seatrout sizes and are slung over the shoulder and rest on your back left side (RH caster). The sea trout version would envelope a double figure rainbow.

I have a smaller one and the fishery can provide a larger one - enormous & expensive! - suitable for a 30lb fish.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Olly wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:39 am I have watched a couple of JW's trout fishing videos. He seems to have the net attached in the middle of his back. He reaches for it with his left hand and with a simple movement it is in his hand! How it is clipped/attached to him I cannot see.

If he wants/needs a larger net a Gye for seatrout would be suitable - as I previously said. They do come in either salmon or seatrout sizes and are slung over the shoulder and rest on your back left side (RH caster). The sea trout version would envelope a double figure rainbow.

I have a smaller one and the fishery can provide a larger one - enormous & expensive! - suitable for a 30lb fish.
Thanks Olly, JW does have the net attached to a ring in the middle of the back of his waistcoat, the waistcoat that I have given my Son is one of JW's so it has this ring. I think a net big enough for a 10lb fish would suffice and it would need to be one with a simple clip for the ring and also be a 'flip open' type for single handed use! :Hat:
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The Gye is designed for single handed use - - the other hand has the rod with a big salmon on the end of the line!

At last found a frame in a video of JWs back - with the ring showing well!

Simple question how is the net attached to the ring? The ring being an inch plus in diameter.

I would have difficulty unless I was able to lift the net out of the ring - my arms don't go that far up my back! Is it magnetic - now that would be easy!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Hardy, Sharpes, Wilco, 'Slovkronan' (sic?)etc all made nets that had a sprung 'belt clip' that would work with the JWilson method. A solid but folding hoop is my preference as there are less problems when opening than with the fully collapsing triangle in my book. My usual choice for bigger trout (and fish including grilse, sea trout and even smaller carp) is a Sharpes Belmont Sea Trout, I think? :Confused: , with extending handle. I've fitted a rubberised mesh by Snowbee

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Liphook wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:09 pm Hardy, Sharpes, Wilco, 'Slovkronan' (sic?)etc all made nets that had a sprung 'belt clip' that would work with the JWilson method. A solid but folding hoop is my preference as there are less problems when opening than with the fully collapsing triangle in my book. My usual choice for bigger trout (and fish including grilse, sea trout and even smaller carp) is a Sharpes Belmont Sea Trout, I think? :Confused: , with extending handle. I've fitted a rubberised mesh by Snowbee
Thank you Alistair, I will definitely have a look, as I agree with your suggestions! Thankyou to all that responded to my original post, I am grateful! :Ok:
Confucius

Return to “General Fly Chat”