SABINA - Any info re Dawson’s……

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Dave F
Grayling

SABINA - Any info re Dawson’s……

Post by Dave F »

I have picked up a “Sabina” three piece 12 ft, dark cane with ferrule stops and a Dawson’s of Bromley bag off that Bay place for £50.00. The rod is in excellent condition.

I had a Sabina in my youth and many years ago, the tip section snapped after hooking a 20 plus carp while surface fishing - the carp escaped to add insult to the injury of the broken rod. I still have the rod and managed to make it usable if a good ten inches shorter.

I’ve been following the old thread trying to find something about Dawson’s and in particular the Sabina.

Can anyone tell me when the Sabina was first made and when the production of the rod stopped.
Is there a book about Dawson’s ?

Dave.
:fishing1:
:fish:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: SABINA - Any info re Dawson’s……

Post by Olly »

I had one and had a similar event with a tench of about 4lb - the first 'big' fish I caught! However I cannot remember if it was a Sabrina or a Sabina. Likewise asking the same as above please.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have had a couple of Sabrinas and one Sabina. I couldnt see any real difference and always wondered if the name had to be changed maybe due to copywrite. I think it would be around the time of the Sabrina movie.
Just a guess of course.
The 12ft is a powerful rod and quite heavy as all 12ft built cane rods are. Ideal I would have thought for chub etc.
The 10ft 6in is a much better balanced rod but 10ft 6in to 11ft cane rods are just about on the limit for built cane, in my opinion.

Dawsons rods were all well built, great looking dark cane , good quality cork and top quality fittings.

Does anyone have a catalogue.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Sabrina movie. Audrey Hepburn. 1954.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Thanks Wal - I think mine was 10ft 6in - - I still have parts in the garage! I will investigate.

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”