Book rescue.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Book rescue.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I thought this may help someone with similar book problems, it's mainly for paperback books where the pages are falling out due to them being simply glued in. Not for expensive collectors books of course. :Chuckle:

My copy of Bob Singletons "The Allcock Aerial" was constantly falling apart so it was first on the operating table.

I made sure all the pages were in place and as tight as I could get them. I used a couple of clamps and two pieces of timber to hold it together tightly and then I then drilled a series of 1.5mm holes 10mm apart along the spine. The Dremel in its little drill press was perfect for the job.
Then I sewed along the spine in and out the holes twice to give strength. The thread I used was white braided nylon fly line backing.
ImageImage
OK, not a professional looking repair by any means but I can now open the book without fear of breaking the spine again and all the loose pages falling out. Ideal solution for damaged reference books.

Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Book rescue.

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Well done Walter Sew Well :Hahaha:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice one Wal, my copy of that book also has the same issues. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Well thought out Wal. Mine fell to pieces as well and I had a friend spiral bind it. Then I sold it.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:25 pm Well done Walter Sew Well :Hahaha:
:Hahaha: Brill.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Fredline wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:48 pm Well thought out Wal. Mine fell to pieces as well and I had a friend spiral bind it. Then I sold it.
I never thought of that John, I suppose it's about the same as spiral binding. It seems to be a particular problem with this book.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Mark wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:37 pm Nice one Wal, my copy of that book also has the same issues. :Hat:
If you would like it doing Mark, send it up to me or I could collect it from you if you're going to Redditch.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

So another skill! I too need some bookbinding done.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:03 pm
Fredline wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:48 pm Well thought out Wal. Mine fell to pieces as well and I had a friend spiral bind it. Then I sold it.
I never thought of that John, I suppose it's about the same as spiral binding. It seems to be a particular problem with this book.
He took it to work Wal where they had a spiral binding machine. Your method is much more personal.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:07 pm
Mark wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:37 pm Nice one Wal, my copy of that book also has the same issues. :Hat:
If you would like it doing Mark, send it up to me or I could collect it from you if you're going to Redditch.

Wal.
I shall have ago myself Wal, but thank you for the kind offer. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”