Has Anyone Ever?

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Has Anyone Ever?

Post by Santiago »

Now in Inverness waiting for the Sleeper train back to blighty . Had a fantastic fly fishing trip with my son with some amazing catches. Full report will be in my journal in the next few days.

One of the outstanding and odd catches was that I somehow managed to catch two trout on the same fly at the same time (same cast), on just the one hook, both hooked nicely in the jaws. One of my friends that has regularly fly fished for trout for well over the last twenty years has never even heard of such a thing happening! The fly was a bushy blue bibio which was by far the best fly . My blue bibio zulus were also very popular with the trout!

Does anyone else have any weird catches on the fly?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Banksy
Brown Trout

Re: Has Anyone Ever?

Post by Banksy »

I have had a memorable double hook-up, a 4lb rainbow trout and myself.
Wading up to my knees on a local Stillwater fly fishery, I was using a PTN on the point and a big hawthorn fly about four feet above it.
I decided to have a change of fly, so retrieved the line. As I reached out for the line, the trout came out of nowhere, grabbed the PTN and turned away, pulling the hawthorn fly into my thumb.
For a mad couple of seconds I was playing a very active trout using just my fly-impaled thumb instead of the rod.
I do not recommend it. 😲

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Sounds very painfull!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I was very grateful for the barbless hooks!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've had two minnows on the same hook a couple of times - I like to think it was skill rather than your blind luck :Chuckle:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I once caught a carp off the top when using floating bread, when I unhooked it I had also hooked a small Rudd. I often wondered if I had hooked the Rudd first and the carp had actually taken the Rudd or was it just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Wal.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:54 pm I once caught a carp off the top when using floating bread, when I unhooked it I had also hooked a small Rudd. I often wondered if I had hooked the Rudd first and the carp had actually taken the Rudd or was it just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Wal.
The Carp actively hunt the Rudd at Ashmead Wal :Hat:

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:42 pm I've had two minnows on the same hook a couple of times - I like to think it was skill rather than your blind luck :Chuckle:
Hee hee!! 😂
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Return to “General Fly Chat”