Sea Streak Subtleties

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Re: Sea Streak Subtleties

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Rockape wrote: ↑Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:05 pm I guess I am really directing this question at Stingray, but I have a standard red Sea Streak without any embossed Morritt text on the sideplate, and was wondering if this was the final iteration of this red model.

I say this because the Carbon model is the same in this respect and that was the last version made.

Here are some photos of my first and second versions and my no text version:
What a lovely reel.Is that the display box that needed your TLC skills ?

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:18 pm
Rockape wrote: ↑Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:05 pm I guess I am really directing this question at Stingray, but I have a standard red Sea Streak without any embossed Morritt text on the sideplate, and was wondering if this was the final iteration of this red model.

I say this because the Carbon model is the same in this respect and that was the last version made.

Here are some photos of my first and second versions and my no text version:
What a lovely reel.Is that the display box that needed your TLC skills ?
Hi Russ,

No, that box is in fantastic original condition.
The reel that came with it was a much later Gladding era version, without the embossed K.P Morritt text (probably from the final couple of Intrepid years? Thanks to Stingray for the education on these).

In fact, it was the box that was the main focus for me when I saw it, and I only learned later on that the reel could not have come with that box.
As you will see from my earlier posts, since then I have managed to find a really nice early (cloverleaf ratchet lever) model, along with the earlier manual and some other bits that were missing from the box (including a strengthener insert for where the handle sits; that was missing also), so now it is almost as it would have been from new around 1966.

The box I repaired was a bit of a basket case, but I need some bits from that one, which is why I got it.
The reel was in reasonably good condition (another early one), so I decided to fix it all up a bit.

I have yet another great box on the way (with a nice 1st version reel also).

I have grown to like these Sea Streaks a lot; they look amazing in pristine condition, but as we all know, shockingly bad when not cared for or cleaned after use; the frame corrosion they suffer from can be horrendous.

I have two main use beach rods, one is a Diawa PK12M and the other is a Diawa AWB122PM, both are coaster over heatshrink tubing, on which I always attach an ABU 6500 CT or Diawa 7HT; the Sea Streak is too big a reel for this arrangement, so I will be on the lookout for an old 70's winch fitting, cork handle beachcaster, ringed for multiplier, like the old Vortex rods (I have never cast one of these reels, so I am looking forward to doing so).

I'll post a pic of the repaired box, but please bear in mind it was never in the kind of condition worthy of a professional looking job, so I just basically glued it back together.
Last edited by Rockape on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Here it is; as I said, not my best work, but at least it is no longer several pieces of frayed cardboard. The reel is ok I suppose, but it is the earliest version, so....

Also threw in a couple of pics to show the difference between the early and later ratchet levers (flat one is earliest and by far least seen, for those not so well acquainted with these reels).

The four pictured together are all in wonderful condition (note the satin chrome finish of the earliest reels).
20240318_152320.jpg
20240318_152142.jpg
20240318_151637.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Hi Phil,I thought I'd let you know there are TWO Mepps Super Meca reels on Ebay at the moment.I think you should jolly well treat yourself because I know for a fact that it's your birthday this year.....RussπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:48 pm Hi Phil,I thought I'd let you know there are TWO Mepps Super Meca reels on Ebay at the moment.I think you should jolly well treat yourself because I know for a fact that it's your birthday this year.....RussπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Hi Russ,

Was that message for me (Paul)
If so, thank you for making me aware, I'll check them out now
:Thumb:

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Sorry Paul.......I'm nearly 68.πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:06 pm Sorry Paul.......I'm nearly 68.πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ
Lol! No worries mate. :Chuckle:

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Well, I think I might be needing some psychiactric help... :Hide: :surrender:

I got another one (early version).

Unless I find something truly exceptional, this is enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bogger
Stickleback

Post by Bogger »

When I first laid eyes on the Sea Streak, on this very site, I thought they looked dreadful. I have now completely changed my mind and think they look fantastic. A very nice collection you have there Mr Ape.

I'm going to keep an eye out for one to add to my ever growing collection of reels.

Bogger

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Bogger wrote: ↑Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:09 pm When I first laid eyes on the Sea Streak, on this very site, I thought they looked dreadful. I have now completely changed my mind and think they look fantastic. A very nice collection you have there Mr Ape.

I'm going to keep an eye out for one to add to my ever growing collection of reels.

Bogger
Thank you Bogger :Hat:

I was exactly the same initially.
I was going to leave all of the Morritt multiplier reels out of my Intrepid collection, but it's colour and all it's bells and whistles gradually grew on me, and then I just had to have one. It was in stark agricultural contrast to my ABU CT's (Stingray is partly to blame..lol!). Now I have 7 of the bl**dy things.
:hairpull:

I think this is a reel that is quite something to behold in top condition, but as I have mentioned earlier in the thread, sadly the vast majority are quite the opposite, and the corrosion they are prone to is just plain ugly. Grease and dirt can become impregnated in the red nylon side panels too, which no amount of scrubbing will remove.

Their 'Sea Screech/Scream' reputation doesn't help either, though I think if owners back in the day had oiled the spool bearings regularly (and not with 3 in One oil), this unwelcome trait could have been massively reduced.

This is now my 3rd 1st version, and like red London buses, you wait an eternity to see one, and then 3 turn up at once.

Return to β€œK. P. Morritts Reels”