Test Curves.

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Test Curves.

Post by Mr B »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:37 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:10 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:25 pm Wal makes an excellent point about line refusing to break when a rod is bent progressively. Sudden snatches may break it as will the slightest touch of something solid against the line but, a well-balanced outfit and no snags will allow anybody to tire virtually any fish. Of course, once the fish is beaten and lying doggo under your feet, will your rod lift it off the bottom?

Test curves and cane are pretty much irrelevant. Take a Harvey Torbett rod, below the last three feet or so, it becomes a sturdy beast but, the tip is light and great for float fishing. So, would you cast a 2oz lead on it and expect the tip to remain attached? No, of course not, you cannot abuse a cane rod tip unless you are at the broom handle level.
Dave, wasn't it Harvey Torbett himself who tried to stop a swimmer with a cane rod. I cant remember the outcome or where the hook was attached for that matter. :Hahaha:

wal.
I think Dave's tried it with Canoeists, Wal :Hahaha:
All very interesting stuff...
I think it was Jack Hargreaves with the swimmer.. ended up breaking his rod.. ohhh, the mind can play tricks... Bernard Venables?? Oh, I think Les Moncrief to might have been involved.,,,
And... Charlie Drake!!! It was one of my post I think a few years ago????
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:25 pm Wal makes an excellent point about line refusing to break when a rod is bent progressively. Sudden snatches may break it as will the slightest touch of something solid against the line but, a well-balanced outfit and no snags will allow anybody to tire virtually any fish. Of course, once the fish is beaten and lying doggo under your feet, will your rod lift it off the bottom?

Test curves and cane are pretty much irrelevant. Take a Harvey Torbett rod, below the last three feet or so, it becomes a sturdy beast but, the tip is light and great for float fishing. So, would you cast a 2oz lead on it and expect the tip to remain attached? No, of course not, you cannot abuse a cane rod tip unless you are at the broom handle level.
Dave, wasn't it Harvey Torbett himself who tried to stop a swimmer with a cane rod. I cant remember the outcome or where the hook was attached for that matter. :Hahaha:

wal.
I think that was Daves bait boat Jeremy. More traditional than those lectrik things.

Wal.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:25 pm

wal.
I remember Jack Hargreaves doing a bit on Out of Town where somebody was stopped by a cane rod in a swimming pool but, I don't recall who held the rod though, it did have a test curve of 12 stone.

As for canoeists, I haven't fished the Wye for nearly a year so, my blood pressure is pretty good for August.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Cat wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:43 pm Mr B, may we add in the Marco Standard Carp at around 1/4lb (maybe a bit less) please! Regards Cat
Yes of course! Thats light for a Carp rod?
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

I think it's probably more like 1 1/4lb's, just feels like a quarter if something significant is hooked! However, beautiful rods, but better for tench, chub, etc.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Cat wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:43 pm I think it's probably more like 1 1/4lb's, just feels like a quarter if something significant is hooked! However, beautiful rods, but better for tench, chub, etc.
Yes, I did wonder if it was a sausage finger typo.. I often do that despite going over my post before oosting.. sorry posting!
One thing for sure, we all like curves in rhe right places!
Mr B

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

After several attempts I have found possibly the source of 'test curves' - but not described as such:-

It is in Foster's 1895 Guide - to be found in 'CATALOGUES Splitcaneinfo.com'. Quite fascinating the bending of a rod with a simple scale!
They are testing the difference between a steel-centered rod with a steel-ribbed rod. With the results!

It may also partially account for intermediate whippings!

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:10 pm Dave, wasn't it Harvey Torbett himself who tried to stop a swimmer with a cane rod. I cant remember the outcome or where the hook was attached for that matter. :Hahaha:

wal.
Mr B wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:18 pm I think it was Jack Hargreaves with the swimmer.. ended up breaking his rod..
It was indeed Jack Hargreaves, Mr B, in his first appearance on film.

There's actually a long history of these angler versus swimmer contests. They date back to the 1880s, and anglers like J. J. Hardy, F. W. K. Wallis, and David Slater all took part in them. I have put together an article on the subject I'd be happy to share with anyone who drops me a private message. The story has a fishless aquarium, a human cannonball, a boxing kangaroo, a Wimbledon tennis champion, and more. It's worth a read.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Hmm. It does rather look as though that rod was rigged to break . What with "Angler Har-graves" keeping his hand over an obvious weak spot for most of the fight.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Cat wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:43 pm I think it's probably more like 1 1/4lb's, just feels like a quarter if something significant is hooked! However, beautiful rods, but better for tench, chub, etc.
I'd agree entirely. I use mine for tench wherever a carp is likely to turn up. Not really an out and out carp rod by today's standards but can cope if needed. Mine is nicely matched with almost identical un-named Rodrill. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”