Hardy Conquest

The Hardy Reels forum.
Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Re: Hardy Conquest

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:30 am PM received so I’ll get one up to you to have a try.
That’s wonderful, thank you so very much!
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Evening folks,

Just popping up to say a big thanks to Tengisgol for lending me a superlative Hardy Conquest. The reel arrived in the post this morning and I fear it may be love at first sight!

As a 4.25” diameter reel, I was pleasantly surprised that the spool width is 5/8” (a smidge more than a Match Aerial). Putting it on the scales is where it gets impressive. It’s 191g (give or take a few grams for kitchen scales, but still considerably under 200g and thus very light). The spool on its own is a featherlight 90g, and that is loaded with 4lb line.

Of course none of that means anything unless it’s free running, and this is the most impressive bit for me. When attached to a rod, 1BB is enough to get the spool turning.

I can’t wait to get it on a rod and catch some fish now!
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Once you’ve fished with it Timothy it’ll be a lifelong love affair….they are uncomplicated and beautiful just like all the best “girls” are …. :Wink: :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:29 pm Once you’ve fished with it Timothy it’ll be a lifelong love affair….they are uncomplicated and beautiful just like all the best “girls” are …. :Wink: :Thumb:
Well I must say you were right in your prediction RB! What a fabulous reel to fish with- so light you barely know you're holding it, extremely responsive and casts very well indeed. I think Nobby said somewhere that Hardy got right what a lot of others got wrong with the Conquest (or words to that effect). The only (very) minor criticism I have is that the depth of the spool makes the retrieve a little slower than something like a Match Aerial. Having said that, after fishing for a whole morning on a breezy day and only experiencing one tangle (and that on the last cast because I decided to give it some serious oomph to see how far it would go), I'd pick it over a MA all day long.

TC

Bernard Venables

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Timothy Claypole wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:29 am
RBTraditional wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:29 pm Once you’ve fished with it Timothy it’ll be a lifelong love affair….they are uncomplicated and beautiful just like all the best “girls” are …. :Wink: :Thumb:
Well I must say you were right in your prediction RB! What a fabulous reel to fish with- so light you barely know you're holding it, extremely responsive and casts very well indeed. I think Nobby said somewhere that Hardy got right what a lot of others got wrong with the Conquest (or words to that effect). The only (very) minor criticism I have is that the depth of the spool makes the retrieve a little slower than something like a Match Aerial. Having said that, after fishing for a whole morning on a breezy day and only experiencing one tangle (and that on the last cast because I decided to give it some serious oomph to see how far it would go), I'd pick it over a MA all day long.

TC
If you’ve fallen in love with a conquest - wait till you try a Hardy Wallis No.1 pin………
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Pallenpool wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:27 pm

TC
If you’ve fallen in love with a conquest - wait till you try a Hardy Wallis No.1 pin………
Exactly Pete, conquest are good, the Wallis No1 is a different level, and they never have wobble, my all-time favourite trotting reel 👍

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Paul F wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:49 pm

TC
Exactly Pete, conquest are good, the Wallis No1 is a different level, and they never have wobble, my all-time favourite trotting reel 👍
Hard to disagree with that Paul, I love mine. The only problem being finding one for sale.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Crucian wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:57 am

TC
Hard to disagree with that Paul, I love mine. The only problem being finding one for sale.
You’ll have to ask me nicely :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

AllRounder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:17 pm
Crucian wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:57 am

TC
You’ll have to ask me nicely :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
Now that is just showing off :Wink:

Bernard Venables

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

I've just taken delivery of a 4" Conquest.

The reel is in lovely condition - clean, spins well and without wobble.

There was a little bit of play on the spool, but there is no adjusting screw in the boss (like there is on Grice & Young reels e.g.).

So, I thought I'd unscrew the boss to see if there was one underneath (no).

The problem I've therefore given myself is now getting the boss back on with the little lever and spring staying in place!

I've done this with other reels and found it fiddly but do-able.

The location of parts seems obvious, however reassembly while keeping everything correctly positioned and under spring tension is proving fiddly beyond belief! :Hair out:

Does anyone know if there is a knack to it with the Conquest please?
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Return to “Hardy Reels”