Whiteheads Reservoirs, Ainsworth.

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Whiteheads Reservoirs, Ainsworth.

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Does anybody remember or know of the Whiteheads Reservoirs, near Ainsworth, Radcliffe, Manchester? I used to fish the three reservoirs during the late 1950’s, the bottom one was always a mystery to me with a few carp and the odd Perch. The middle was my favourite with plenty of fine Roach, Perch and some quality Tench. During this period it was stocked with Pike, which came for the continent. They thrived and gave excellent sport. The top reservoir was stocked with Trout and I remember catching my first on a fly. The bridge across near the top was a favourite spot. I left the area in 1961 and have never returned. But what memories it holds for me. Is it still a fishery and is it controlled by an angling club?
Would love to hear something about a water that set me on my angling journey.
Mike Crompton.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: Whiteheads Reservoirs, Ainsworth.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm surprised that you haven't had any replies so far Mike. I have no idea where you live now, but might it be possible to visit the area that you left in 1961 ?.
I like to see the places that I fished as a school boy. Some have changed little in that time, some have changed a lot and one in particular (Cusworth hall lake) doesn't allow fishing at all.

All the best. :Hat:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi, Wanderer,
Like you, I liked to see places I used to fish. But now with Farm ponds, factory lodges and small pools being transformed? filled in, turned Into housing and industrial estates I no longer hunt them out. They made memories for me and I am happy to dream on. The Whiteheads Lodges or Reservoirs seemed too big for them to be filled and I hope that fishing still exists in them.
I am now of an age when I cannot drive far… so memories of the early years of my angling journey are important.
Tight lines and pleasant memories.
Mike

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I wonder how many waters we used to fish have been lost to angling. When I lived in Crowborough, East Sussex I fished the Boars Head pond which was an old traction engine pool. This was filled in when the main road that ran along side it was rerouted. I also fished a brickworks clay pit which has been filled in and an industrial estate built on the site. I spent many enjoyable days on both waters and they were where I learnt the ropes. It's a shame that the youngsters of today won't have the same opportunity.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

It's an interesting subject all to itself,coral Maestro. The area of Yorkshire that I lived, and still live in was blighted by the effects of industrial pollution. The rivers were devoid of fish, in fact virtually any living thing.
Still waters were the only places where we could fish.
Some of these were tied in with industry. colliery ponds, brick works ponds, compensation reservoirs, that sort of thing.
One particular pond was in the disused Hemsworth brickworks quarry.
Free fishing and as a school boy, some lovely Roach.
Sadly, a young boy drowned there and the pond was filled in. It's now a housing estate.

Things are so much better now and the local rivers are teeming with life.
I take a little bit of satisfaction from this, as in small part I have been actively involved in fighting for cleaner rivers.

Conversely, I am fully aware that some, if not most of our former pristine rivers are now suffering from numerous problems and are not what they once were !

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

I grew up in Ainsworth and Whitehead Lodges along with Pimhole and Cherrytree used to be the main waters that I fished up to about 1982. I had a junior membership of Radcliffe Angling Club, I think it was called ,that I used to buy from Harold Glassbrooks shop on Ainsworth Road Radcliffe. We most often fished the middle lodge . The top lodge was also still stocked with trout but I only had jack pike out when spinning. I remember watching a young man catching some nice perch out of the middle lodge using a sliding float. The bottom lodge contained a handful of larger carp which was not that common then and was also known to contain pike. I caught my first ever pike there on a jointed pike coloured plug.
I still go over to Ainsworth to visit my Dad but have not been round the lodges for years. I suspect they have likely not changed all that much but I dont think the fishing belongs to Radcliife Anglers these days.
We used to go swimming in the top lodge off the dam wall in the summer and sledging down the banks when it snowed in winter .
I remember walking home after fishing and my friends dad legging it past us with his wicker basket bouncing away shouting" run lads " as a feisty bullock chased him- so much for protecting us..
Many happy memories
Trevor

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”