Celebrating 50 Years of fishing the Dorset Stour

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
DaceAce
Eel

Celebrating 50 Years of fishing the Dorset Stour

Post by DaceAce »

Some fun fishing this week:

Mitch300
Roach

Re: Celebrating 50 Years of fishing the Dorset Stour

Post by Mitch300 »

I really enjoyed this video---thank you---it reminded me of many afternoons spent fishing similar small rivers. My question is: if you were to have fished with today's tackle instead, what would have been different? I imagine that with today's rods you might be quicker on the strike and missed fewer nibbles, and that a more modern reel might have a faster retrieve, giving you more time with your bait in the water, and so possibly a few more fish in the same session. But are there any other significant changes?

G. B.

DaceAce
Eel

Re: Celebrating 50 Years of fishing the Dorset Stour

Post by DaceAce »

Mitch300 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:20 am I really enjoyed this video---thank you---it reminded me of many afternoons spent fishing similar small rivers. My question is: if you were to have fished with today's tackle instead, what would have been different? I imagine that with today's rods you might be quicker on the strike and missed fewer nibbles, and that a more modern reel might have a faster retrieve, giving you more time with your bait in the water, and so possibly a few more fish in the same session. But are there any other significant changes?

G. B.
Glad you enjoyed it. It's hard to say what influence more modern tackle would have on my catch rate. There's lots of very small roach and chub present that do lots of nibbling, plus a few gudgeon. I have fished a nearby swim since and using punch and maggots I had more fish numerically including more of the tiddlers as well as some perch on maggots.

Return to “Fishing Films”