Drop Shot Flies!

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Drop Shot Flies!

Post by Santiago »

Further to my drop shot thread on plastic lures Ian brought up the subject of using flies that imitate minnows. So I have just made a couple for now to test the waters, so to speak, when the river clears from the heavy rains.

They're tied upside down on size 4 red kamatsu drop shot hooks. The bellies are coloured rabbit fur and their backs are marabou. Tied in colour combinations that I know work.

They're wet so you can see how they will appear when in use.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Drop Shot Flies!

Post by Olly »

I made quite a few of upside-down trout lures when fishing Weir Wood many many years ago - not disimilar to yours. Seemed to be the rage then.

Those two look excellent!

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I reckon they will be good perch catchers.Please let us know how you get on with them.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

They look splendid.I sometimes use flies like that as teasers infront of shallow diving plugs when I am Bass fishing. I may have to dig them out for drop shotting now!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Duckett wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:06 pm They look splendid.I sometimes use flies like that as teasers infront of shallow diving plugs when I am Bass fishing. I may have to dig them out for drop shotting now!

Phil
Thanks all ! I use to use a mackerel spinner in front of some lures when pike fishing. I read about it in some book on lure fishing years ago ! Often works a treat.

Hemingway

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Santiago wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:38 am Image

Further to my drop shot thread on plastic lures Ian brought up the subject of using flies that imitate minnows. So I have just made a couple for now to test the waters, so to speak, when the river clears from the heavy rains.

They're tied upside down on size 4 red kamatsu drop shot hooks. The bellies are coloured rabbit fur and their backs are marabou. Tied in colour combinations that I know work.

We fondly believe that our lures will appear as they do in the photos when in use; in actuality the lure would need to be moving quite quickly to assume that shape . Slower motion or indeed sinking as in dropshotting, the fibres of wing and body will fan out and appear much as they do dry in the vice. The various changes between the two extremes make the lure appear to pulsate with life and this is where their effectiveness lies.
When I was a committed Sea Trout angler, each time I tied a new lure I would test its action in the river before going ahead and using it. It's surprising how often some flaw or quirk in the tying would make the lure appear un natural as can also happen with a poorly tied knot.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Catfish.017 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:03 pm

We fondly believe that our lures will appear as they do in the photos when in use; in actuality the lure would need to be moving quite quickly to assume that shape . Slower motion or indeed sinking as in dropshotting, the fibres of wing and body will fan out and appear much as they do dry in the vice. The various changes between the two extremes make the lure appear to pulsate with life and this is where their effectiveness lies.
When I was a committed Sea Trout angler, each time I tied a new lure I would test its action in the river before going ahead and using it. It's surprising how often some flaw or quirk in the tying would make the lure appear un natural as can also happen with a poorly tied knot.
Think of when you film a lady with long hair underwater in your swimming pool at home, and what her hair does when she climbs out of the pool. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Catfish.017 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:03 pm

With these flies I will retrieve as fast as possible whilst still bouncing the weight on the bottom, combined with sink and draw. That's the beauty of drop shotting, there's several ways to retrieve. On the Thames I find the above works well, but I take your point and will of course look at how these flies work first, under different retrieves.

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Sage advice from Catfish, Duckett and yourself Santiago. Its an interesting technique that I've put to good use on my local estuary whilst fishing for bass from the boat. I intend to coarse fish much more this winter 🀞 and lure/fly fishing is always my preference

Return to β€œFly Tying”