Reel line recommendations

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Fredline
Tench

Re: Reel line recommendations

Post by Fredline »

Watermole+ wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:43 pm
Hovis wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:15 pm Dearest assembled collect,

What is your reel line of choice. I recently got a new egg beater and its in need of some fresh line. For my feeder work I'll go for either guru drag line or pulse pro - both tough and fit for purpose.
What I'm looking for is a float fishing line. I've used guru n-gauge for my hook lengths for some time and really like it. Supply, knots well, low diameter and reasonable abrasion resistant. However it only comes on 100m spools and I'd like to fill the spool without backing. So what are your go to floating lines?
Put this question to a dozen anglers and you’ll have a dozen different answers!
Has our fishing really become that technical?

Those line names brought a wry smile as they sound as if they might catch more fishermen than fish!
Personally, I feel that the worst lines of today are all infinitely better than the best ones of my younger days and for the most part, they all worked well then.
If I want the line to float, I run it very lightly through a pad of Mucilin or ‘Lineflote’.

My belief is that all lines are about the same and if there is a tiny marginal difference between them, then it is not going to affect either your casting ability or catches. There is very little out there now which is bad-because it just wouldn’t sell!
I would say; ask yourself, would Richard Walker or any other of the great anglers have bothered about brand names?

Just buy and use whatever brand you like or have confidence in and go fishing with it.

wm+ :Hat:
What he said.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

If you can find a better, more dependable line than Maxima, I suggest you buy it…

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Avoid pre-stretched lines. They'll let you down sooner or later.

Maxima is very reliable but it does weaken on exposure to UV light so it's best to test it's strength if you use it regularly over the year. And you need to store it in the dark.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Duckett wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:22 pm Completely off topic but as an angler who also models N Gauge model railways, Guru N-Gauge Line is a complete pest when I am searching for model railway things.

In my opinion it should be banned, all memory of it expunged from the internet and the Guru employees who came up with the idiotic name should be immediately conveyed to the deepest level of hell for eternity! :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Phil
You may find that employing Boolean operators improves your search results. Use the minus sign (-) to exclude all results that include that keyword.

A Google search for "N gauge line" will include a lot of results for the fishing line, but a Google search for "N gauge line -fishing" should exclude all of the fishing related sites and keep your search results, ahem, on track.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Rod Fisher wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:24 am
Duckett wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:22 pm Completely off topic but as an angler who also models N Gauge model railways, Guru N-Gauge Line is a complete pest when I am searching for model railway things.

In my opinion it should be banned, all memory of it expunged from the internet and the Guru employees who came up with the idiotic name should be immediately conveyed to the deepest level of hell for eternity! :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Phil
You may find that employing Boolean operators improves your search results. Use the minus sign (-) to exclude all results that include that keyword.

A Google search for "N gauge line" will include a lot of results for the fishing line, but a Google search for "N gauge line -fishing" should exclude all of the fishing related sites and keep your search results, ahem, on track.
Thanks Rod! I’ll try that!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Do you really need more than a hundred yards of line for float fishing? Pack the spools up with sheet cork cut to fit and secured with insulating tape.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The old line debate and the continued use of Maxima. I can only suggest that Maxima has changed since I last bought it as I would routinely re-spool during the season due to it degrading. I think some of us are lost in nostalgia unless, as I suggested, we are talking about a modern version.

What car do you guys drive? Have you ever bought the same car twice? My first car, a Ford Popular, served me well and I often wish I could drive one again - for a day. Would I want to use one every day? Heck no. Likewise virtually every car I've owned, all except a Skoda Octavia. I'm on my third albeit not back to back and all slightly different. Find me an Octavia 4x4 2.0 diesel line and it will do everything I want from a line. In the meantime, I'll chop and change until I am happy. I am presently quite satisfied with Daiwa Sensor in its various guises and always have a pin loaded with Drennan float line. There is no perfect line, what suits one will let another down, keep trying and build your own confidence.

And Ducket, you made me smile :Thumb:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

No nostalgia here when it comes to line Dave, albeit I re-spool in the course of a season anyhow. I’d change if I thought anything else gave me something more than Maxima does, but every time I’ve tried other lines they have let me down. Simple.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:40 am No nostalgia here when it comes to line Dave, albeit I re-spool in the course of a season anyhow. I’d change if I thought anything else gave me something more than Maxima does, but every time I’ve tried other lines they have let me down. Simple.
That's fine Phil, it's all personal choice guided by experiences, good or bad, which is why we anglers can never agree on rod, reel, line, float/lead, hook, bait, location, time, etc. There is no perfect line just our favourite at the time of purchase. :Hat:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Diawa sensor for me. Cheap as chips and very good. Also enjoying using drennan suplex in 4lb on my pin at the moment.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”