Reel line recommendations

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Hovis
Tench

Reel line recommendations

Post by Hovis »

Dearest assembled collect,

What is your reel line of choice. I recently got a new egg beater and its in need of some fresh line. For my feeder work I'll go for either guru drag line or pulse pro - both tough and fit for purpose.
What I'm looking for is a float fishing line. I've used guru n-gauge for my hook lengths for some time and really like it. Supply, knots well, low diameter and reasonable abrasion resistant. However it only comes on 100m spools and I'd like to fill the spool without backing. So what are your go to floating lines?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Reel line recommendations

Post by Tengisgol »

The whole debate about floating or non-floating lines is apparently a bit of a nonsense. I read the science behind that statement a year or so ago but I can’t remember it.

For me it is maxima every time and if I want to give it a little extra floatant I will clean it as I reel back and then give it a quick spray.

https://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/bran ... line-spray
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Daiwa Sensor and Hyper Sensor for me... cheap as chips, does what it sez on the tin...🤷‍♂️
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Maxima, Daiwa sensor and Drennan supplex for float fishing with reels with tiny spools ( eg Mitchell 308 / 408).
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Thanks all. Used both sensor and maxima before that. Nothing wrong with them but both suffer with significant memory and are pretty thick for the breaking strain.

I got supplex on a 'pin or 2 so that might be an option.

Re: floating or not. I really do want a floating line. When "active" fishing like trotting I've found the difference minimal. However, when fishing static for periods I do like a line thay floats so not to drag a light float out of positions. I also want something I can sink in windy conditions too. Maybe I'm asking too much?

Izaak Walton

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Hovis wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:15 pm Dearest assembled collect,

What is your reel line of choice. I recently got a new egg beater and its in need of some fresh line. For my feeder work I'll go for either guru drag line or pulse pro - both tough and fit for purpose.
What I'm looking for is a float fishing line. I've used guru n-gauge for my hook lengths for some time and really like it. Supply, knots well, low diameter and reasonable abrasion resistant. However it only comes on 100m spools and I'd like to fill the spool without backing. So what are your go to floating lines?
Put this question to a dozen anglers and you’ll have a dozen different answers!
Has our fishing really become that technical?

Those line names brought a wry smile as they sound as if they might catch more fishermen than fish!
Personally, I feel that the worst lines of today are all infinitely better than the best ones of my younger days and for the most part, they all worked well then.
If I want the line to float, I run it very lightly through a pad of Mucilin or ‘Lineflote’.

My belief is that all lines are about the same and if there is a tiny marginal difference between them, then it is not going to affect either your casting ability or catches. There is very little out there now which is bad-because it just wouldn’t sell!
I would say; ask yourself, would Richard Walker or any other of the great anglers have bothered about brand names?

Just buy and use whatever brand you like or have confidence in and go fishing with it.

wm+ :Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Watermole+ wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:43 pm
Hovis wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:15 pm Dearest assembled collect,

Put this question to a dozen anglers and you’ll have a dozen different answers!
Has our fishing really become that technical?

Those line names brought a wry smile as they sound as if they might catch more fishermen than fish!
Personally, I feel that the worst lines of today are all infinitely better than the best ones of my younger days and for the most part, they all worked well then.
If I want the line to float, I run it very lightly through a pad of Mucilin or ‘Lineflote’.

My belief is that all lines are about the same and if there is a tiny marginal difference between them, then it is not going to affect either your casting ability or catches. There is very little out there now which is bad-because it just wouldn’t sell!
I would say; ask yourself, would Richard Walker or any other of the great anglers have bothered about brand names?

Just buy and use whatever brand you like or have confidence in and go fishing with it.

wm+ :Hat:
The brand is irrelevant completely but the quality is upmost. I can only speak from experience and the aforementioned lines have performed well for me regardless of name.
Would dear old Richard Walker care? Not about a name but about performance certainty and this is what I'm interested in.
Modern lines are even those from 10-15 years ago have been surpassed by much better alternative, hooks too the QM1 is the best Grayling hook I've used. Modern terminal tackle is the biggest advance in all of angling without doubt.

Whilst I agree that line is line to a degree and most modern lines will perform adequately I'd rather have the most dependable I can to suit my needs.

Izaak Walton

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Here’s what I read: monofilament (nylon) line is slightly denser than water. If you cut a two inch piece of any line and put it in water it will shortly sink. You can make a line sink quicker by cleaning it with detergent thereby lessening the surface tension and that helps make it sink. Alternatively you can treat it with a floatant like silicone or mucillin and it will help it float.

I’ve tried all the different lines over the years and always come back to maxima which has just never let me down. If you want a 5lb line but think maxima is too thick buy it in 4lbs as it will still be a better line than most in 5lbs. Just try pulling for a break!

As I’ve said here before, “strong enough to pull yer granny out” but it is all a matter of personal preference and confidence.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Let me add another idea to the mix: I like to buy Dave Harrell Pro Match or the new Edge Tackle (basically Cadence) Float Line because you can get it in 300m spools. I only use centrepins so I can get up to six fillings from a spool based on putting 50m on each time. If I ever legered then I’d probably use Sensor because it comes in whacking great spools!!
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Completely off topic but as an angler who also models N Gauge model railways, Guru N-Gauge Line is a complete pest when I am searching for model railway things.

In my opinion it should be banned, all memory of it expunged from the internet and the Guru employees who came up with the idiotic name should be immediately conveyed to the deepest level of hell for eternity! :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”