Bamboo Two Part Landing Net Pole.

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Bamboo Two Part Landing Net Pole.

Post by Mr B »

I have recently made a two part landing net pole from an old sea fishing rod... stiff as a poker!
Each section is 43 inches long or there abouts.
I had an old brass treaded end section from and old bamboo pole handle that fitted the end of this one nicely.
I rubbed it down, did a minimal amount of whipping ( leaving the original green on because it was solid) then gave it a few coats of exterior yacht to varnish ( it dose what is says on the tin)
Its a good solid pole/ handle.
What would be the best finish on the end???
I have lots of bits of wood knocking about, I was thinking of whittling out some kind of bung like you put in the end of a rod, its to nice to put a rubber end cap on it.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Bamboo Two Part Landing Net Pole.

Post by RBTraditional »

Lovely job there Mark… :Hat:
As an end cap what about the cork and cap from a damned good bottle of single malt or vintage port…?

Other brands and coloured caps are available…. :Wink:

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:02 pm Lovely job there Mark… :Hat:
As an end cap what about the cork and cap from a damned good bottle of single malt or vintage port…?

Thats a good idea Rob, did a similar thing with home spun float tube.. but with bog standard cork.
The cork would need to be flush with the sides of the handle.
I like that idea... but this time a quality cork!
As an additional idea... with the right fit I could store, rapped in greaseproof paper, a few hooks, shots etc...
Might be better to glue it in.. I'll chew it over.
That single malt looks a good un Rob!
Love a good single malt myself.
Mrs B surprises me now and then with a nice bottle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Another vote for Dalwhinnie!Image

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well I have managed a simple end cap... Its a cork as suggesting by RBtraditanal.
But... not a fine champagne cork or from an aged single malt, its fitted as it is, a bit on the rough side, but it dose have a story and it feels right, so in my books qualifies for its place on the handle.
Viz.....
I took shelter last week from the lashing rain and wind in my local for well deserved pint.
I was standing at the bar waiting to be served by the new barmaid with a pretty young face and flattering neckline.
She was serving a small group of women who looked like were out for a very happy occasion, but there was a problem... the barmaid was to frighten to get the cork out!
She said she didn't know how to do it and didn't like bangs!
Looking I could see it was an Italian Sparkling Wine, just a bog standard aspispementi type.
Not being a man that can leave a damsel in distress....
"Give us that bottle, I'll open it for you"
She passed me the bottle as the others looked happily on as I slowly gave it a little twist and gentle push and could feel it ready for that controlled pop that left the cork in my hand.
There was a sigh of relief all round when one of the party said... "You should charge em for that"
"No, I'm keeping the cork"
Mr B

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

…a brilliant result all round Mark, I like it :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:17 pm …a brilliant result all round Mark, I like it :Thumb:
Me too we're bonded together all ready.
Looking forward to the nets baptism now.
It will have to be something a bit special.
Saying that..all fish are special.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”