Non-destructive fettling @Nobby

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Wakou
Rudd

Non-destructive fettling @Nobby

Post by Wakou »

Hi folks! I have recently acquired a small collection of Rapidexes (Rapidices?) Two Rapidex, one Trudex and a Milward's FloatCraft (in brown!). I would like to give them a quick fettle before deciding which are to be "users" and which to be "for the wall"..
None of them are exactly "spinny" but all of them are in 'good' to 'very good' nick.
I have had a look at old threads here, and see that the maestro, 'Nobby', advises petrol for a first clean (!). Does this mean lighter fluid or actual petrol? Surely a bit niffy and combustible for sitting in front of the TV with a cleaning rag? And surely a bit aggressive? Will it affect the paint? I have IPA in an aerosol can, would that do?
An American site advises "mineral spirit" which I think is what we call "white spirit", also a bit niffy?
I have an ultrasonic bath, but the Rapidex and derivatives seem to be so simple that this seems to be overkill?
And so on to the Mitchells (I have several). How to do a "first-clean"? Ancient, thick grease? Literally manually? Or use the U/S bath with... soap (fairy-liquid) or should I invest in some "watchmaker's fluid"?
All advice is welcome!
I also have a Rapidex derivative on which the little spool-release lever has no bounce... I understand that there should be a little spring inside, which on this one I guess, is broken or not there. Is there a solution or bodge?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Non-destructive fettling @Nobby

Post by Tengisgol »

The pins are really easy to clean up. Use a little white spirit on a rag and just wipe everything down until clean. Clean inside the tube/pin housing similarly with either a clean rag or paper towels. Or you can use a cotton bud. Clean the pin itself. Pop a couple of drops of sewing machine oil on the pin and some dabs of grease around the ratchet mechanism - just a tiny bit. It is all that simple.

Then give it a spin.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Oh, the Mitchell’s, that’s easy too - send them to Nobby.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you Tengisgol! I have read an article by Nobby, in which he "suggests" some improvements to the basic Mitchell 300, sort of "blueprinting" .. I am sorely tempted to ask him to do the full works on one of mine. But I guess that this would be "not cheap" And it would demand an excellent "donor". I have a "Brand new, never used" 300.....

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Wakou wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:38 pm I also have a Rapidex derivative on which the little spool-release lever has no bounce... I understand that there should be a little spring inside, which on this one I guess, is broken or not there. Is there a solution or bodge?
You can get a release lever spring or a whole new release cap set from Garry Mills. Consider grabbing a bottle of pin oil at the same time.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you Rod!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Nobby’s reel service is covered in this post:

viewtopic.php?t=38825

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I’ve had reels serviced by Nobby, bought reels from him as well. He certainly knows his Mitchell’s, and I’m sure he could look at your pins too. Highly recommended.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”