5 Years to Cure Delamination

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

5 Years to Cure Delamination

Post by Fredline »

https://traditionalfisherman.com/viewto ... 75#p369575
This was my original thread about this 9 ft Sowerbutts small river rod that I posted over 5 years ago and Woohoo I have finally finished it. Why 5 years I hear you ask? Well the handle was a mess because someone in the past had tried to stabalise it with ?????. The top section was whipped every 5mm in 3 colours and the ferrules needed resetting. It appeared a very daunting task and one I was not looking forward to doing, if ever. But a couple of weeks ago I bit the bullet and started.
So ferrules reset, handle sympathetically restored and both sections rewhipped in ONE colour, almost. It is tipped with green wraps. I have added an homage to the original 3 colours on the bottom section. The black was the original guide wrap colour. The top section close whipping was every 5mm so I had to find a process to use 3 turns only as the rod would have looked completely wrapped in Garnet. The process involved 2 turns of thread, add the pull through and then one more turn before pulling it through. You could breath on it and it would unravel so as soon as the 3 turns were finished I pulled them tight and immediately sealed them. This meant only doing a few at a time at various stages of the rod. 2 Weeks later they were done. Finally a good few coats of water based silk varnish and here it is finished. It has a wonderful balanced through action which is why I have described it a small river rod.
Mr Sowerbutts, you rock.
I have also finished a Homers Cycle/Poachers Rod that has only taken 4 years, I will list that later.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: 5 Years to Cure Delamination

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having seen the Sowerbutts rod, before it was finished, I could see the potential. The finished rod is superb, well done John! đź‘Ś
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

What a lovely little thing!
Lots of work there John, executed beautifully.
:Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Beautifully restored… and well worth the effort :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well done John...lovely Job and a terrific right up... I like the "Plucking up courage and biting the bullet.
Looks a splendid job and "right up your street" being a nice small river rod.
And... well done for loading a video. "Marvellous"
Thanks for sharing that.

Tight lines
Mark
Aka Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Looks great John,please bring it along to our meet next week.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Lovely job :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That’s a lovely job you’ve done there John.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Very nicely done Fredline :Hat: Great patience shown for all those inters! Out of interest do you know how much time they took?

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Liphook wrote: ↑Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:26 am Very nicely done Fredline :Hat: Great patience shown for all those inters! Out of interest do you know how much time they took?
It averaged 8 - 10 a day. About 2 weeks. It is not labour intensive but I did not dare do any more for fear of rubbing them off. The are 40/50 in each of the top 3 sections. 3 wraps is awkward but achievable. I would love to know how others have, if ever, have got on with 3 wraps.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”