The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 19th November 2023

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Fredline
Tench

Re: The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 19th November 2023

Post by Fredline »

Aitch wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:12 pm Good to meet up with some of the TFF Massive... We had to leave early as it was a near 300 mile round trip for us...
Bought a few bits (for my Christmas prezzies according to my good lady)...😳
Which means I'm not allowed to play with my new bits for another 6 weeks or so...πŸ˜”πŸ˜’
I play with my bits on a daily basis.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Fredline wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:41 pm
Aitch wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:12 pm Good to meet up with some of the TFF Massive... We had to leave early as it was a near 300 mile round trip for us...
Which means I'm not allowed to play with my new bits for another 6 weeks or so...πŸ˜”πŸ˜’
I play with my bits on a daily basis.
It seems that nobody noticed at Redditch John! :Chuckle:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Highlight for me was seeing Chris Yates MKIV avon that landed the Bishop, Andrew pointed out the spliced tip that Chris did as a repair when it was broken and Richard Walkers faint signature, also the BB and Thorndike reels that walker made that were on display some real angling history there and to think the Thorndike reel could have been lost forever if it wasn't for Fredline. I did purchase a nice box of mayflys for next year as i am running short and was going to buy a lovely float tube off old man river with an owl on it but when i returned to his stall someone else had bought it, note to self do not procrastinate.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Shropshire Lad wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:03 pm Highlight for me was seeing Chris Yates MKIV avon that landed the Bishop, Andrew pointed out the spliced tip that Chris did as a repair when it was broken and Richard Walkers faint signature, also the BB and Thorndike reels that walker made that were on display some real angling history there and to think the Thorndike reel could have been lost forever if it wasn't for Fredline. I did purchase a nice box of mayflys for next year as i am running short and was going to buy a lovely float tube off old man river with an owl on it but when i returned to his stall someone else had bought it, note to self do not procrastinate.
If you behave and stop using long words, :eyebrow: I could always put another together for you, my main problem is that only today I went to contact my bamboo supplier, and he has stopped trading and folded the company !

My bamboos stock is at rock bottom as they say , so at the moment it is just not possible.

There are suppliers at the opposite ends of the country, but the cost of a courier is , well, extortionate !

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Even for a trucker, the 433 mile round-trip from Chelmsford was a bit of a marathon. (This did include a detour on the way home to N. Norfolk, to pick up a Gum-Tree purchase "Job-lot of seven old rods, including Sealey, Farlow's etc: Β£35.00" of which perhaps, more later!)
Right by the entrance the smiling and welcoming fizzog of Mr Fredline, and next to him, Lea-Dweller!
I had promised myself NOT TO SPEND LOTS OF MONEY, and largely kept that promise.. (I get the feeling that Fredline thinks I am an utter tightwad, I promise this is not true! I honestly did not have change, your honour!) I bought a new(ish) Mitchell 300 in its presentation box, a very battered and "pre-loved" early Narrow-spool Speedia, a cane swing-tip (? is this a thing, or a later "mock-up?).
From the notorious Del-Boy of the tackle world, Mr Surgoy (?), I bought two leather float-tubes, in which to store some works of art kindly gifted to me by the above-mentioned member of this parish when I met him on the bank some time ago..
There were many things I desired, but I have spent A LOT recently on various items....
I met the legendary Garry Mills who was every bit as kind and patient and delightful as everyone says he is.. we discussed an old reel I wish to refurbish. He suggested I send an email! It is widely known that Mr Mills, for all of his shining qualities, is not exactly on-the-ball when it comes to the new-fangled interweb. I'll phone him and post a cheque!
Now I have a problem in that although I "know" many of you from this forum, I do not know what you look like or your real names, etc. I have met John a number of times, and Bob, and Aitch, and Moley and Tensisgol and Grumpy etc.. from the Wally and a couple of Essex meet-ups. I am sorry to have missed you! I did accost a gentleman wearing a TFF badge, twice. The first time, he did not hear my "excuse me, excuse me, excuse me!, the second time he shook my hand and seemed completely uninterested in any further intercourse...
I must get one of those badges!
The old Speedia, despite its shabby looks is the smoothest and free-est running "true pin" I have ever encountered, I am looking forward to using it, even though it does not have a drag.... clickety-click it will be!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Wakou wrote: ↑Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:46 am ... I did accost a gentleman wearing a TFF badge, twice. The first time, he did not hear my "excuse me, excuse me, excuse me!, the second time he shook my hand and seemed completely uninterested in any further intercourse...
I must get one of those badges!
:Hahaha:

Anybody willing to own up? My badge read "I have no idea what I'm doing" so I'm in the clear.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

You'll just have to be content with playing with your old bits then Aitch! 🀣πŸ€ͺ😜
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Can't seem to find me old bits as readily these days... :Chuckle:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Aitch wrote: ↑Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:10 pm Can't seem to find me old bits as readily these days... :Chuckle:
You could always ask Jackie to help? :Thumb:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Good to meet you Aitch, and Mrs Aitch of course, and thank you for your courier services :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to β€œFishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”