B. James MkIV SU...crikey!

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

B. James MkIV SU...crikey!

Post by Cat »

Evening All, I've picked up a B. James MkIV SU - London, England. Quite a beast, with a bit more umph than I expected. I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere, but does anyone know the approx test curve please (just out of interest) + approx date of manufacture for the London version? Regards Cat

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: B. James MkIV SU...crikey!

Post by Catfish.017 »

A figure of two and a half pounds seems to ring a bell with me?

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks...seems about around that. Think it may make a good pike rod!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I borrowed one for a while and can confirm that they are designed to beat large fish. I'd reckon on 2 - 2.5 test curve which can hook 'em, play 'em then swing 'em up over the bank :Chuckle:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Someone is bound to know this - Was the B.James MkIV SU designed by Walker?

I had one of these rods but could not get on with it - when folk say it will make a good Pike rod I assume they are referring to its ability to cast a deadbait - I cannot see it being required to cast a plug or spinner.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

:Hat: I had one once, for a very short while. I am pretty sure Tessa Sanderson put one to good use. :surrender:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Yes, it's a bit like an unforgiving javelin! Think I'd happily use my Labrador as live bait.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

The B James s/u was rated at 3.5 lbs test curve. When I spoke to Bob Southall about this rod he reckoned B James had made an error. When James were approached by some well known anglers about creating a lighter Mk4 for chub and tench fishing Walker told them to simply reduce the tapers by 10% which they did (as did Bob). Later when some carp anglers wanted something a little more powerful to deal with carp in snag or heavy weed situations Walker said increase the tapers by 10%. Bob Southall did with his stepped up Mk4 rods and got a test curve rating of two and a quarter pounds, Bob was certain B James increased the Mk4 tapers on their rods by twenty percent thus creating a rod with a three and a half pound test curve.
I had a pair of the James stepped up rods and my friend Maurice Elief had three of Bob’s stepped up rods, the diffence in weight and power (stiffness) was massive. Great for hurling out whole herring’s though !

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I have two B.James S/U MKIVs and they definitely have different test curves. Not tried to measure, but there were discussions on here previously as a number of members have them, and it seems the test curve can be from around 2lbs up to around 4lbs. The thickness of the cane seems to vary considerably in the rods. They are excellent rods and I have caught carp on the surface at close range in snaggy pools up to just about 30lb, so they can handle just about anything you are likely to fish for.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Regarding the year of manufacture, assuming the S/U had the same inscriptions changes as the the standard MKIV, then ‘London, England’ means 1956/57 (‘ Ealing’- before 1956, and just ‘England’ 1958 onwards) .
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”