J C Higgins 500

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

J C Higgins 500

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

ImageImageImageImageImage[img][/img
I've had this Higgins 500 reel and it's user manual for a year or so.The manual describes its automatic feature whereby a backwards turn of the handle opens the bail arm.Mine didn't,thinking perhaps there was an auto version and a standard version.Also I thought it odd that it didn't have an antireverse.Furthermore,the internal spool clicker was broken.So,I found another one in the US being sold as spares/repair and snapped it up mainly for its spool clicker.Opening it up I was mortified to find it also had a broken spool clicker.Possibly a design fault.Then I discovered something else.While fiddling with the 'new' spares reel,I turned the spool backwards and hey presto,the bail arm opened !!! My reel had obviously been taken apart before because I found a large washer in the wrong place thus preventing its auto bail function.It now operates as per the manual.Here's the funny bit.As I said,the spares reel was purchased from the US solely for the spool clicker......which was broken.Cost of reel £25.....Shipping....£20.My business acumen is brought into sharp relief and that's why I haven't got a Bugatti Veyron.........yet.....Russ(ShyTangler) TTFN.

Dave F
Grayling

Re: J C Higgins 500

Post by Dave F »

At least you got your original reel to work…..
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Not heard of one of those before. Is it made in the US?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Wow! Russ, what a cool looking reel!! You have some very nice reels in your (now somewhat smaller) collection.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Coral Maestro wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:27 pm Not heard of one of those before. Is it made in the US?
Hi and yes,made in the US circa mid 1960's.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:23 pm Wow! Russ, what a cool looking reel!! You have some very nice reels in your (now somewhat smaller) collection.
Yes my reel collection is 99% gone but I still have 7 Mepps and 25 Centaure reels.I'll definitely keep the Higgins 500 too.With its auto bail and nylon gears,a lovely little machine.😎👍

Return to “Other Reels”