Richard Walker Mk1V Carp Rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
centerline
Stickleback

Re: Richard Walker Mk1V Carp Rod

Post by centerline »

Happy xmas to all,
And many thanks for all your thoughts and feelings regarding the rod, very much appreciated indeed, I have certainly learnt a lot since owning it.
Mick.

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

What a beautiful rod Centerline.

I found the debate about the number of intermediates very interesting and have some more info about MK IV rods in general which includes further detail about intermediates.

I was sure I'd read about the MK IV intermediates before and here is the excellent article entitled Collective Madness, Vintage and Iconic Carp Rod Collecting written by Jonathan Savory (who is a TFF member) https://www.carpology.net/article/featu ... ollecting/ - as far as I can see it has not been posted on here before but apologies if you've previously seen it.

I really enjoyed reading the article, especially the identification of the different versions of the rod with their timelines.

From what I've been told Mrs Murgett seems a real star having whipped the early onion handled (3rd version) Carp, and Avon (and Avocet?) rods. I wish I could find out more about the machine that B James used to complete the intermediate whippings from then on - the whippings on my Ealing Avocet at the tip end which I've been told were done with the machine are approx 5 mm apart including the whipping either side of the gap!

Merry Christmas,
Geoff

centerline
Stickleback

Post by centerline »

Hi Geoff
It is indeed a fascinating subject, Johnathan did send me the links you kindly mentioned which I have printed and laminated in case the grandkids or great grandkids one day decide to swap it for ,,,,an "Xbox or some other dreadful device, god forbid!!!
Thanks again Geoff.
Mick

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Always an idea to label rods for future reference, along with imparting the adage 'Don't sell my rods for what I told your Mum I paid for them'!

centerline
Stickleback

Post by centerline »

Excellent, I must remember that , I think we've all been there,,,,,
Wife, "not another one, how much this time"

Hubby, " a bargain luv, only 40 quid ???!!".

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

...and never keep all rods and / or reels in one place, rather 'distribute' (hide) liberally in numerous places. Justification for rod purchase may be 'rare' as well as 'a bargin'.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”