‘Europa’ Fixed Spool Reels - any clues?

The Other Reels forum.
Vanderschoor
Stickleback

Re: ‘Europa’ Fixed Spool Reels - any clues?

Post by Vanderschoor »

Great reels: the first version of the Shakespeare 2200 series (before Ambidexes & Sigma's).
See https://nostalgischeshakespearemolensui ... eries.html

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

I’ve got several versions of these reels including a couple of Diamond 888 , Europa klasse 2220, and 2200, 2210 and 2230 sizes of the ‘last of the line’ dark green II series , with push button spool,which were marketed around the mid 1970s.
The II series also look remarkably similar to a reel sold under the contemporary South Bend brand.
Ball bearing race in the rotor on most of these makes them incredibly smooth but, they werent that popular in the UK-most serious anglers preferring their Mitchell 300s and variants which, I’m my opinion were less robust reels albeit with a superior’ line lay.
..The multi disc drag on these reels is far superior to any Mitchell and , with carbon drag discs, can be made even smoother.
My favourites are the 2200 II ,a delightful ‘ultralight ’ and the 2230 II,a pair of which took me ages to find, a very capable pike sized reel.

Vanderschoor
Stickleback

Post by Vanderschoor »

The 2200 II was my first reel... Shakespeare being a very popular brand at the time in the Netherlands. Notice that the earlier 2200's (below 200 gram) were actually more 'UL' than the ca. 250 gram 2200 II.

Return to “Other Reels”