A Christmas Baby !!!

The Other Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

Re: A Christmas Baby !!!

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:32 pm
Rockape wrote: ↑Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:41 pm I mean't to ask, what year was your new baby born?
Hi Rockape,I think 1936.
Cheers Russ,

I asked because mine has a smaller drag nut and a drilled spool, plus it has the 2-3/8" rotor diameter, which, according to a dating section from a book published on these (or may have been French reels in general?), made my reel a 1936 also? But it is actually more the case that I have been trying to date my Super Vamp, and that has the same front end as your baby vamp (I say that, so now I'd better go and check it again to make sure that I am not telling you porkies..lol!).
Back in a jiffy!

Sorry Russ, I lied, it is different (all plastic I think?)

But here is my Baby Vamp front end (I'm sure you have the same version as well?).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

The badge is like a brass effect (coated aluminium maybe....in reasonable condition), and the rotor internals has a toothed ratchet, whereas my Super Vamp has the same spring type as your new baby (bit of a droop on it tho...lol!).

The badge on my Super Vamp looks to be made out of the same material as your baby V, but not quite the same top condition.
Hoping here that you don't have any bad news for me..lol!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Rockape wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:16 pm The badge is like a brass effect (coated aluminium maybe....in reasonable condition), and the rotor internals has a toothed ratchet, whereas my Super Vamp has the same spring type as your new baby (bit of a droop on it tho...lol!).

The badge on my Super Vamp looks to be made out of the same material as your baby V, but not quite the same top condition.
Hi Rockape,I'm now not sure my Baby is 1936.Of the 5 Babies I possess,two have the large drag knob and the other three have the 3-prong drag adjuster with a centre cap.Incidently,I'm trying to find a French book LES MOULINETS MEPPS.If If If I can find a copy it'll hopefully have all the info and pics of all the different models and dates of manufacture.I don't know the date of publication so it's long shot.My son's wife has family in France so that may be the route to take.TTFNπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:56 pm
Rockape wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:16 pm The badge is like a brass effect (coated aluminium maybe....in reasonable condition), and the rotor internals has a toothed ratchet, whereas my Super Vamp has the same spring type as your new baby (bit of a droop on it tho...lol!).

Hi Rockape,I'm now not sure my Baby is 1936.Of the 5 Babies I possess,two have the large drag knob and the other three have the 3-prong drag adjuster with a centre cap.Incidently,I'm trying to find a French book LES MOULINETS MEPPS.If If If I can find a copy it'll hopefully have all the info and pics of all the different models and dates of manufacture.I don't know the date of publication so it's long shot.My son's wife has family in France so that may be the route to take.TTFNπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Oh....And I need the Mepps book because I actually know very little about them.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:01 pm

That would be a wonderful book to own.

If, in the meantime, I manage to get any more info on these reels, I will be sure to let you know.

I have a screenshot (probably originally taken from that book?), showing some dates and details, which was posted on this very forum.... I think? (I'll double check myself actually), have you seen it?

It lists the 1936 (and I assume 1937) Baby Vamp as having an approx 2-3/8" dia rotor cup and the 1938 -1950 as 2-3/4" dia. Not much in it really, but enough to define a 1936 reel.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:47 pm

If, in the meantime, I manage to get any more info on these reels, I will be sure to let you know.

I have a screenshot (probably originally taken from that book?), showing some dates and details, which was posted on this very forum.... I think? (I'll double check myself actually), have you seen it?

It lists the 1936 (and I assume 1937) Baby Vamp as having an approx 2-3/8" dia rotor cup and the 1938 -1950 as 2-3/4" dia. Not much in it really, but enough to define a 1936 reel.
Hi Rockape,From 1938 to 1948 the Baby Vamp spool rotor had a depth of 23mm.Earlier models had a depth of 19mm.All mine are 23mm.πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:10 pm

Hi Rockape,From 1938 to 1948 the Baby Vamp spool rotor had a depth of 23mm.Earlier models had a depth of 19mm.All mine are 23mm.πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Cheers Russ, I'll check mine and get back to you, though I suspect mine will be the same as yours. :Thumb:

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

I just checked my own reel, and the rotor cup/flyer has an internal depth of 19mm. Externally it is closer to 23mm (I suspect your drilled spool babies are too?), so it is the internal or external depth we should be taking as the correct measurement?
It is definitely 2-3/8" across, which fits in with the 1936 dating info I have (sadly not a lot of detailed info available on the web). :holmes:

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: ↑Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:43 pm

I just checked my own reel, and the rotor cup/flyer has an internal depth of 19mm. Externally it is closer to 23mm (I suspect your drilled spool babies are too?), so it is the internal or external depth we should be taking as the correct measurement?
It is definitely 2-3/8" across, which fits in with the 1936 dating info I have (sadly not a lot of detailed info available on the web). :holmes:
Definitely external depth.......and yes,very little info on the computer web thing.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Hi Russ,

In the few hours we have left before the big annual moment, I thought I would post the info I got from a thread either here or on ORCA.

This shows the cup diameter Info and when the badge went to aluminium, but I can't remember the source unfortunately.

Happy New Year to you and all here btw.

Return to β€œOther Reels”