Priory Park Southend

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Priory Park Southend

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Anyone have any photos of Priory Park Lake ?
We fished early 70s after our hero, Jim Gibbinson wrote some articles . Not sure if he used a " code" name.
It was early in Essex carping with the locals pointing, amazed at our twin rods and " high tech" Heron modified alarms.
Park keeper, complete with gold ribbed peaked cap kept us on track!
And with clear water if a carp was hooked, a dozen of her mates followed her and sheared off at the net- not that in the 70s hooking happened a lot
Last edited by Ian.R.McDonald on Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Priory Park Southend

Post by Tengisgol »

I never knew what the lake was but, as Romford lads, with the Hainault and South Weald fish not far away, we were always aware of the ‘Southend’ water that was out of reach!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

received_452155522948733.jpeg
Tengisgol wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:19 pm I never knew what the lake was but, as Romford lads, with the Hainault and South Weald fish not far away, we were always aware of the ‘Southend’ water that was out of reach!
I forget the year (76?) but South Weald lower lake had some issues with low oxygen levels. The wardens moored a raft in one corner and sat a road repair diesel pump on it , firing water 20 ft into the air. Everyone was up on the upper lake which was very quiet - even the 6lb shoal of Abberton bream had stopped feeding. I wound in and went for a walk round the lower lake. Whar looked like every carp in the lake had gathered in " pump" corner, crashing round in groups and then diving down shoulder deep into the bottom to feed. My challenge was to walk back up to get my gear and move down- without causing a mass exodus from others !. I caught a low double first cast- before the fish went back to normal and others hadnt noticed. Hainault and Weald were way ahead of Priory and after a couple of trips we moved back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Ian, Priory Park became Monastery Pool in Jim’s classic book Carp!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:41 am Ian, Priory Park became Monastery Pool in Jim’s classic book Carp!
thats the one! funny thing the memory, I forget who hooked the carp but the image of the other carp swimming in unison plays immediately.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:41 am Ian, Priory Park became Monastery Pool in Jim’s classic book Carp!
I know todays " kids" can access their heroes by phone with a flick of a phone- being able to see ours on the bank was special- and pre internet they were not inundated so could speak. Derek Stritton, Jim Gibbinson, Kevin Maddocks, John Reed, Martin Gay, Gerry Savage and Bob Morris

I remember chatting with the angler in the next pitch at Darenth. Nice interesting man. Back on my chair I realised it was Lenny Middleton

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I bet he didn’t show you his rig!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:28 pm I bet he didn’t show you his rig!
I remember sitting fishless with others at Walthamstow #1 watching someone in the " pier" swim land their fifth carp- and trying to work out why bait and hook were inches apart as he swung the lead before casting..
Somehow we lost a bit of Carp fishing when we changed from the excitement of four fish a season to four fish a day!

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Priory Park lake is still fishable on a day ticket £8.oo i think.mainly fished by modern carpers with all the gizmos.I walk round it now and again and am not very impressed.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Grumpy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:34 pm Priory Park lake is still fishable on a day ticket £8.oo i think.mainly fished by modern carpers with all the gizmos.I walk round it now and again and am not very impressed.
happy to keep it in my memory - I suspect many of the modern lot would respond with " who?" if Jim Gibbinson was mentioned

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”