Recommendations For A Cane Stalking Rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Recommendations For A Cane Stalking Rod

Post by Bob Brookes »

Shropshire Lad wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:39 pm As others have said you won't go far wrong with a Sharpes or Hardy LRH no 1 ( the no 2 is much too powerful I use mine for deadbaiting for pike or fishing for large carp in snaggy or weedy venues the no 1 is more pleasant to use for stalking.
Having lauded the Sharpes rods, and they are great, I have recently acquired an LRH 1 & 2. I have not had the chance to use either yet, so it will be interesting how I would have answered the question in 12 months time.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Martin James wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:23 pm Bob a cut down Sharps salmon rod will make a perfect job, David Crain, can tell you about them, better than I can, has he converted my 13ft and 14ft double handed rods. I no longer used for salmon, they have been used with very good success this past summer Regards Martin
Interesting, I always thought that would work well...it did when I did just that with Hexagraph salmon rods. :Hat:
Last edited by JAA on Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

One of the Marco Capella variants perhaps?
Apart from the whispy 7 foot version they are sturdy rods .
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Chapman 500 has worked really well for me. But for really difficult spots I like to use a split cane rod that was converted from an unknown 12’ rod to a 10’ rod, having the butt section of the rod cut down and the rings arranged the same way as the “500”. It’s slightly stiffer than the 500 and I don’t worry about possible damage so much. Although having said that, I now value it just as much. I might have to make another one for even rougher locations. :Hahaha:
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Really dependant on where one is fishing. Could range from 5-6 through to a 10 -11 foot cane. Action again is down to where one is casting.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Barbelbonce wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 pm A pal of mine phoned me this evening to ask for a recommendation for an up-to 10ft carp stalking rod:..."..you know, proper poking about in the bushes type rod", he said.
First. he asked if a Chapman 500 would be ok and I replied that it may be a bit lightweight and he might do better with a 550 Carp from Chapmans, or A N Other 10' carp rod.
I also said that a Sharpes salmon spinning rod (9'3" or 9'6"?) would probably fit the bill - but, naturally, expensive.
Please have any of you here have any ideas for him? He's a pretty committed traditionalist and I'd like to be able to help him.
Many thanks,
Mike
If its a 10' he wants to use then why not go for a Mark IV carp rod (B James or other make). Or are they thought to be to precious for a bit of poking through bushes?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Santiago wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:24 pm
Barbelbonce wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 pm A pal of mine phoned me this evening to ask for a recommendation for an up-to 10ft carp stalking rod:..."..you know, proper poking about in the bushes type rod", he said.
First. he asked if a Chapman 500 would be ok and I replied that it may be a bit lightweight and he might do better with a 550 Carp from Chapmans, or A N Other 10' carp rod.
I also said that a Sharpes salmon spinning rod (9'3" or 9'6"?) would probably fit the bill - but, naturally, expensive.
Please have any of you here have any ideas for him? He's a pretty committed traditionalist and I'd like to be able to help him.
Many thanks,
Mike
If its a 10' he wants to use then why not go for a Mark IV carp rod (B James or other make). Or are they thought to be to precious for a bit of poking through bushes?
A MkIV will do for stalking, but a snaggy swim where a hit and hold approach needs summat shorter and a wee bit beefier and it'll be a tad undergunned
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I am a big fan of short rods and consider 10’ to be a long rod. I often use rods between 4’ 6” and 8’.
For choice it depends on the size of the fish being targeted.
At the top end is the Barder Carpcrawler which is 8’ 3” and will handle carp to well over 20lbs.
My preference for carp to high doubles and barbel to about 13 lb in close, tight situations is the 6’ 10” Hardy Wanless 9/10lb. I have caught 100s of fish to high double figures on mine often in real hook and hold situations and it is brilliant.
At the longer end there is an 8’ version of the Wanless or the 9’ 3” Sharpes spinning rod or LRH2.
For big carp in hold and hold situations I have used the Hardy Javelin pike rod which is 8’. It’ll cope with anything but is a bit of a broom stick.
It might be worth looking at new like the Ryan Burns Creeper series. They are 6’ rods. I have 2 of his very short rods and they are excellent for really tight fishing.

Hardy Wanless 9/10lb carp fishing in a couple of tight swims.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some rods are are too expensive for my pocket to poke through trees, bushes and worst of all - tangled brambles - which, where I fish, hang over the water with undercut banks! So the longer rod can pull them out from, in some cases, under your feet!

It has always been said that shorter rods can give more pressure to a fish than longer rods - that's why sea boat rods can be 6ft long. And Snape uses his and 'magic' on double figure carp and barbel!

No one rod - I think - is capable to be used everywhere!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”