The compleat angler & catching the impossible

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Treeman
Gudgeon

The compleat angler & catching the impossible

Post by Treeman »

During this cold snap I'm setting down in the evening to watch these wonderful series again,
It's lovely to see some of our favourite anglers again, it's a more relaxing type of filming for me some of the newer films have wonderful content then they put loud banging music over the top of it........... Spoils the atmosphere that we look for in the quiet of the bankside
maybe I'm getting old in my retirement :Hahaha:
AKA Russell

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: The compleat angler & catching the impossible

Post by Dave Burr »

Anything that keeps the fires burning is welcome during the winter. Watching old fishing programs or reading fishing books helps pass a cold and miserable day and sees us planning for the future. I've presently got three books on the go that I dip into, the most exciting of which is Canal Zander by John Glover. I've not caught a Zed for years and that will hopefully be rectified this year, along with a ruffe.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:17 am Anything that keeps the fires burning is welcome during the winter. Watching old fishing programs or reading fishing books helps pass a cold and miserable day and sees us planning for the future. I've presently got three books on the go that I dip into, the most exciting of which is Canal Zander by John Glover. I've not caught a Zed for years and that will hopefully be rectified this year, along with a ruffe.
sadly the Canal Trust are out electrofishing and killing Zander. But are also dealing with " crazies" stocking a variety of species illegally. I only want to catch one for my list

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:19 am
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:17 am Anything that keeps the fires burning is welcome during the winter. Watching old fishing programs or reading fishing books helps pass a cold and miserable day and sees us planning for the future. I've presently got three books on the go that I dip into, the most exciting of which is Canal Zander by John Glover. I've not caught a Zed for years and that will hopefully be rectified this year, along with a ruffe.
sadly the Canal Trust are out electrofishing and killing Zander. But are also dealing with " crazies" stocking a variety of species illegally. I only want to catch one for my list
This topic is covered early in the book as there are still many unscientific theories about predators, usually those that are match focused. My water of choice will be the Gloucester to Sharpness Canal, I've had them there before but opinions on the distribution and quantities are mixed It does have one bonus though, it's too big to electrofish so the resident fish should be at a 'natural' level by now. Time and my wandering urges for other species will tell.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Glover book is on order- getting some guidance and setting up some tackle options whilst the weather is horrid.

Who knows- I may continue once I have the one fish- still lots of pike and perch to chase at the same time

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:04 pm Glover book is on order- getting some guidance and setting up some tackle options whilst the weather is horrid.

Who knows- I may continue once I have the one fish- still lots of pike and perch to chase at the same time
Tackle shouldn't be too difficult for the zander Ian, a barbel rod and a braid leader is enough - unless a pike happens along but many can still be landed if a circle hook is used.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:31 pm
Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:04 pm Glover book is on order- getting some guidance and setting up some tackle options whilst the weather is horrid.

Tackle shouldn't be too difficult for the zander Ian, a barbel rod and a braid leader is enough - unless a pike happens along but many can still be landed if a circle hook is used.
Zander book received- Egret are offering a discount on ebay. I have read a couple of chapters- much more interesting and useful than I was ( unfairly!) expecting

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A 27lb zander was caught very near the Gite we use in France - in the autumn 2 years ago. Enormous!!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Olly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:34 pm A 27lb zander was caught very near the Gite we use in France - in the autumn 2 years ago. Enormous!!
Good grief :read: :shocked:

Return to “Fishing Films”