Hardy shop and Museum.

The Hardy Reels forum.
Wanderer
Arctic Char

Hardy shop and Museum.

Post by Wanderer »

Had the day to myself yesterday and so decided to have a wander to Alnwick to see the new Hardy shop and museum.
Spent a little while there and enjoyed it, but left thinking it could be much bigger considering the output of Hardy over many years. I bought the DVD " The lost world of MR HARDY" as a momento/ reminder of my visit.

I enjoyed talking to the gentlemen running the shop / museum and was very pleased to know that reels ( fly reels) are being made at a new production facility (factory) in Alnwick.

I can reccomend a visit to Alnwick / Alnmouth and the surrounding area.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Hardy shop and Museum.

Post by Pallenpool »

I visited last year and left a little underwhelmed regarding cane and pin. The coarse fishing equipment was scant, and the good exhibits were on loan. However there was a film showing the extent of Hardy’s production through the war years and I found this extremely interesting. As an aside if you are in Alnwick a visit to barter books is a must and is definitely worth it. Allow some time for this as it’s huge. One will find barter’s at the old railway station building which is on the left as you come into the town - it’s only a short walk from Hardy’s.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They must be kicking themselves, when you consider the wealth and worldwide acclaim they had established over the years. They could have had a walk round museum with all the tackle making processes being shown. It would have been great as a part of Beamish museum.

Wal.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

The old museum was far far better, more engaging and equally resided in a wonderful old building in the backs of Alnwick. However Hardy’s seem engaged in modernity after speaking to the chaps in the current shop. I seem to remember a conversation along the lines of American investment pushing the brand even more towards the ‘fly’ - modern America and history do not seem to align.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have been - to the old museum, which wasn't great. Now it looks even worse!!

I have relatives up there - with a visit due soon - so may have a look.

Barter Books is a regular when in the area. Some superb old 'bird' books at a price!!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Olly wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:17 pm I have been - to the old museum, which wasn't great. Now it looks even worse!!

I have relatives up there - with a visit due soon - so may have a look.

Barter Books is a regular when in the area. Some superb old 'bird' books at a price!!
If you thought the ‘old’ museum was poor……..

Heraclitus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I had and used a reel that some of us have - Hardy Conquest - which was not mentioned or on show! I never went back.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

They sold out their heritage many years ago, with the majority of the items in the museum loaned from collectors. They did not even take good care of the loaned items.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Sad but very true Stefan. I never got back any of the 'on loan" items belonging originally to my grandfather. I hold a grudge against a certain past member of the organisation precisely because of it. It was theft poorly disguised as the ineptitude of others in my book :Angry:

As a company it had been a fading shadow of its former self for longer than I have been alive according to several contacts I have. Talk about trading on past glories

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Liphook wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:32 am Sad but very true Stefan. I never got back any of the 'on loan" items belonging originally to my grandfather. I hold a grudge against a certain past member of the organisation precisely because of it. It was theft poorly disguised as the ineptitude of others in my book :Angry:

As a company it had been a fading shadow of its former self for longer than I have been alive according to several contacts I have. Talk about trading on past glories
Shocked and disappointed to hear your "on loan" items went missing. What explanation did they give ? And did they compensate you for your loss ?
I know that Hardy aren't what they once were and that is sad in its self, but I am only now starting to become aware of what has taken place in recent times.
I number of years ago I visited the Hardy shop Museum and factory at the old willowburn site and remember being surprised by the apparent lack of activity there and by the largely empty car park.i also remember the one chap who was working in the shop, being, what I thought at the time, was rather evasive, in response to my questions about the factory.

It will be good to hear the personal opinions and experiences of Hardy in recent years...........( especially the post PURE FISHING takeover years). I suspect there are plenty of stories, yet to be told.

:Hat:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Return to “Hardy Reels”