New British record pike

This forum is for discussing pike.
Ian
Eel

Re: New British record pike

Post by Ian »

What a fish, an absolute monster. The great thing about pike is that they can repopulate a water in quick time, and that’s why that new record fish is priceless. Well done to the guy for catching it, and landing it ha!
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:35 pm The fishing bank on Chew is quite shallow and 'Traditional' rods and tactics would only scratch the surface there. Of course, the old terminal tackle was never very fish friendly and many fish were left carrying snap tackle around in their mouths. Even with modern gear the fish have seen it all and that makes them much harder to tempt. I welcome the modern approach to predator fishing.

A bait boat is an obvious solution to avoid the crowds and you can find your own spots just as you can by casting around closer in.

It's not always easy though. My friend left the shallow bank one windy day and headed to a spot near the dam. He and his mate watched a bait boat drift in the heavy chop and come to rest against the dam, it was well out of reach of the owner and evidently didn't have the 'return to home' feature that many have when the signal is lost. After taking a battering, it upended and the boat, flashing lights and all were seen disappearing into the depths.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

:Hahaha:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

That video made I larf!! 😂🤣
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

So succinctly put Snape… :whistle: :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

What a superb Pike and congratulations to the captor.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Incredible fish . The chap was so clearly delighted too , really pleased for him .

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I can't believe for one moment that CY dreams include O/U shotguns and plastic cartridges! Side by side with hammers and paper cased loads surely, if not muzzle loading black powder? :Sun:

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Beautiful photos of a magnificent fish and a happy angler! Congratulations to Lloyd Watson. Can you imagine how much he must have been shaking when trying to get a landing net under that leviathan?

G. B.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

He looks a happy chappy. Good for him! Rather see him smiling than most of the serious lads in the mags, with a face on them like the photographer has just snapped their rod over their knees.

As for bait boats, to each their own. And if ever there was a venue for them, surely a big res is it. Away from anyone else, not bothering anyone. Can't see the harm. Not like he's driving the thing around a little pond over anyone else's swim.

I don't have any need or desire to use one, but if I ever do I'll make sure to use it with a cane mkiv or one of my LRH no2s just to see how you guys react. 😂😜

Don't know why we are discussing bait boats on TFF. I don't talk about my carbon on here. It's not the place.

That fish though. The stuff of dreams!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”