Large-Mouth Black Bass in England

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Large-Mouth Black Bass in England

Post by Watermole+ »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:23 pm
the huge damage caused by imported fish, animals and plants makes me happy that many other projects ( like the bass) didnt work

I could not agree more with this.

The capacity of man to interfere and play havoc with the natural scheme of our flora and fauna, set out for us safeguard for the next generation since the recession of the last Ice Age, seems to be unlimited..

It would seem that we are destined never to learn from our mistakes; only to compound them.

Was there ever a more myopic or self-serving species than Homo sapiens..?

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

The water I caught my bass from, Breach Pond, is surrounded by rhododendrons (landowner is trying to eradicate them), and the woods have plenty of grey squirrels and sika deer, both in out of control numbers.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Watermole+ wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm
It would seem that we are destined never to learn from our mistakes; only to compound them.

wm+
Not sure about that, but there's never been a more intelligent, adaptable, inventive and co-operative species. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

JAA wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:19 pm
Watermole+ wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm

wm+
Not sure about that, but there's never been a more intelligent, adaptable, inventive and co-operative species. :Hat:

I am.
I could have added ‘arrogance’ amongst other things and don’t intend to get into a dispute about this so will not respond further, but cannot find any instance in the history of this planet, where the rightful needs and requirements of other species was given priority or where they were invited to Co-operate.
Mankind may have been given dominion over all other creatures but has only ever Co-operated with himself, if and when it has suited him. When it hasn’t, it’s always been war-and still is. Very much so.
To claim that we are ‘more intelligent’ than everything else is highly debatable, since we have no means of even beginning to calculate or evaluate that; especially in whales for example.
I have long since learned, never to confuse western intelligence with knowledge. :Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Well said 👏

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

DaceAce wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:28 pm The water I caught my bass from, Breach Pond, is surrounded by rhododendrons (landowner is trying to eradicate them), and the woods have plenty of grey squirrels and sika deer, both in out of control numbers.
I am very happy living close to the Peak District. One favourite river is the Churnet. Beautifil scenery with peregrine hunting above. Perfect!. Then after ten minutes every retrieve of a baited hook has red crayfish hanging on

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

At least a couple of the bigger Ringwood pits have had their tench fishing ruined by Wels catfish.

Although there are signal crayfish in the Dorset Stour the only evidence so far that I've found is an otter-chewed claw. It's a very different story on the Thames.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

DaceAce wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:37 am Something different this week:
That was an interesting video Mark thank you. I have a few books about introduced species, you might have read them as well ; they mention bass stockings in the UK in some detail.
The first importation was said to have been in 1879 and these fish were released into a Scottish loch.
In 1909 the claimed "last survivor" of a batch released in Oulton Broad was displayed(whether freshly caught or stuffed isn't detailed). These were said to've been imported from Austria.
Stockings ,possibly from a German fish farm, were made in 1927 in a lake by Norwich Angling club of 250 fish. And fry were said to've been released into to the Great Ouse .Though the latter stocking might've been confused or mixed with zander apparently.
Donald Leney stated that the fish he he obtained in 1934/5 came from naturalised wild fish in the River Loire
In France .
He stocked them in a pit at Woking, a pond in Kent and one in Devon. As well as several other waters.
Interestingly it seems he stocked two ponds in Wareham . This rather than the suspected movement of fish by the landowner might explain the presence of bass in the second pond that you mention in the video.
Only supposition of course.
It was good to hear your first-hand knowledge of actually capturing some of them 🙂
Last edited by Kev D on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Rod Fisher wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:21 pm Black Bass were brought to Britain from the St. Lawrence river by Mr. Beggs, a Scot, in 1878. Some were stocked in Dunrobin Castle (the Duke of Sutherland's seat), some in Eynsham Hall, Oxford, and some may have been given to Frank Buckland. Mr. W. T. Silk imported some from the Delaware in 1878 and '79, which were stocked in Burghley Park, the Marquis of Exeter's estate. George Shepard Page, American pisciculturalist and founder of the Fish and Game Commission, brought more in 1882, again for the Duke of Sutherland. Silk made another trip for Black Bass in 1882, this time the fish were divided between the Duke of Manchester, Lord Exeter, John T. Carrington of the Royal Aquarium, R. B. Marston, Wintersett reservoir near Wakefield in Yorkshire, and W. Oldham Chambers of Lowestoft, who reared some in ponds at Gunton Park, a country house in Norfolk.

Edit: typo
Interesting stuff, Rod. I had no knowledge that Black Bass had been stocked in Wintersett reservoir. A water that is close to me and that I have fished in the past.
Wintersett reservoir and the adjacent Cold Heindly reservoir were built as compensation reservoirs for the Barnsley canal and they are both large expanses of water.
Do you have any further information on the Wintersett stockings ?
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Wanderer wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:41 am Interesting stuff, Rod. I had no knowledge that Black Bass had been stocked in Wintersett reservoir. A water that is close to me and that I have fished in the past.
Wintersett reservoir and the adjacent Cold Heindly reservoir were built as compensation reservoirs for the Barnsley canal and they are both large expanses of water.
Do you have any further information on the Wintersett stockings ?
Jonathan Haigh was a subscriber to Silk's 1882 endeavour and presented his share of the bass to Wintersett Angling Club. I don't know for certain which of the reservoirs the fish were stocked into, it just says "a portion [of Silk's fish] being intended for... the public reservoir near Wakefield".
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Return to “Fishing Films”