G. BAKER....Ever heard of these? Help if possible please.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

Re: G. BAKER....Ever heard of these? Help if possible please.

Post by Cat »

Very nice indeed. Enjoy!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

They look wonderful. I’d go with RBT - JB Walker cane.
You do not come across many with the onion atop the corkage either.
Lovely looking canes.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Cat wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:45 am Very nice indeed. Enjoy!
Thank you Cat :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Pallenpool wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:00 pm They look wonderful. I’d go with RBT - JB Walker cane.
You do not come across many with the onion atop the corkage either.
Lovely looking canes.
:Hat:
Thank you for that information Pallenpool. I will use them on the next carpy trip.

:Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Ever heard of these? Help if possible please.

Post by Tonytoned »

RBTraditional wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:24 am I have a number of JBW rods, there’s not one alike, as individuals would have built them to suit their tastes. Some have winding checks others don’t… but one thing is mostly standard apart from the feel of the cane and that is the stand off butt ring supplied by JBW. It’s usually the giveaway… :Hat:
Thanks again RBTraditional :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nice rods, and as others have suggested, probably JBWalker kit rods. Whoever made them, did a very good job.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'm not convinced that they're JB Walker kit rods. The cane appears fairly light compared to the darker cane on the JB kit rods, and the varnish doesn't look very old and has not been applied in the style of the times which would have been thinner, not a gaudy gloss. Possibly restored in 1995, which might explain the numbers 95 on the butt.

The rods do look nice though but I suspect that they're reconditioned B James rods as that would fit with the light cane and the varnish.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Santiago wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 am I'm not convinced that they're JB Walker kit rods. The cane appears fairly light compared to the darker cane on the JB kit rods, and the varnish doesn't look very old and has not been applied in the style of the times which would have been thinner, not a gaudy gloss. Possibly restored in 1995, which might explain the numbers 95 on the butt.

The rods do look nice though but I suspect that they're reconditioned B James rods as that would fit with the light cane and the varnish.
That’s not strictly correct Santiago, I have around 15 JBW rods both carp and Avons and the colour of the cane varies greatly between dark and light straw coloured. I imagine the darker canes are the earlier ones when Bob Southwell had much to do with JBW….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:35 am
Santiago wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 am I'm not convinced that they're JB Walker kit rods. The cane appears fairly light compared to the darker cane on the JB kit rods, and the varnish doesn't look very old and has not been applied in the style of the times which would have been thinner, not a gaudy gloss. Possibly restored in 1995, which might explain the numbers 95 on the butt.

That’s not strictly correct Santiago, I have around 15 JBW rods both carp and Avons and the colour of the cane varies greatly between dark and light straw coloured. I imagine the darker canes are the earlier ones when Bob Southwell had much to do with JBW….
Sure, I agree . I was perhaps generalising too much. My kit rod is a lovely dark colour dated from 1956. I still think that they've been restored though .
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

The other thing which supports the JBW theory apart from the stand off butt ring is the lack of a winding check, both of my B James carp and Avons with this style of handle have them. I think the rod builder has tried to copy the onion handle but not used the check…?
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”