Vintage Folk Art Fishing Lures and Tackle.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
John Milford
Grayling

Re: Vintage Folk Art Fishing Lures and Tackle.

Post by John Milford »

Can't find a quill long enough? No problem - job done!

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

:Chuckle: Works for rods too!
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

John Milford wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:30 pm Some short, stubby (reed?) floats I found that some thrifty angler made for themselves. Naive but charming little things from much simpler days. The longest is just over 2½".

The red tips have been applied using reflective tape, rather than being painted on. Quite an ingenious and practical idea I thought.

Superb John, I love these :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

John Milford wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:42 pm Some more 'folk art' lures from my collection.

These were made by an eccentric ex Indian Army officer named Marshall William Judd, who spent his later civilian life living reclusively in a caravan in Norfolk.

I bought the lures from his grandson who'd inherited them. He told me that his grandfather's caravan was full of homemade floats, hand tied flies, exotic feathers collected from his travels and other tackle. I would have loved to have seen it - or, better still, met him!

Among the lures were some T. P. Luscombe of Allahabad Mahseer spoons (no doubt from his Indian Army days) plus a few very nice post WW1 Allcocks spinners.

Hoevever, it was his own baits that I appreciate the most. The metal-headed ones are based on the Hardy 1924 model 'Swimmer' and the ones below them on the 1909 model 'Fly Minnow'.

They are crafted variously from German silver, copper and brass - the workmanship and quality is quite outstanding.

Like the floats John they are amazing, and thing is they worked. Thank you.

:Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

John Milford wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 pm Can't find a quill long enough? No problem - job done!

Yes I've got a "Push me Pull you" float, is that electrical tape holding them together?

:Chuckle:

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”