Wake Up Fishing Clubs!

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
DaceAce
Eel

Wake Up Fishing Clubs!

Post by DaceAce »

Following up from last week's video I summarise some of the many helpful suggestions that might save some clubs:

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Wake Up Fishing Clubs!

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

if you have already thanked all club committee members- I apologise!
But I wouid suggest that many club commitees have been in the role for years- and they carry on working because nobody else will take up the jobs. They may well not be perfect- but well done for keeping things going!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I think the proposal of clubs running online ticket sales is not good.

Requiring someone to buy a ticket at a local fishing tackle shop is the best option for two reasons.

1 Tackle shops are dying. A person buying a ticket may well buy something at the same time and will certainly know where the shop is for future purchases.
2. At least going into the shop gives someone the chance to assess people. Atilla the Hun can create a false identity online but not on a visit to a real shop

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:25 am I think the proposal of clubs running online ticket sales is not good.

Requiring someone to buy a ticket at a local fishing tackle shop is the best option for two reasons.

1 Tackle shops are dying. A person buying a ticket may well buy something at the same time and will certainly know where the shop is for future purchases.
2. At least going into the shop gives someone the chance to assess people. Atilla the Hun can create a false identity online but not on a visit to a real shop
I've been buying tickets by post for decades which is no different to online. As for assessing people in a tackle shop I can't see much of a guarantee that would work.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

If clubs want younger members they need to embrace doing almost everything online and by phone (70% of website browsing is now done by phone) - taking out memberships, payments, digital handbooks as well as exchange tickets as mentioned. Add a surcharge for a printed handbook if you like. I recycle mine and put the pdf on my phone...

Even facebook is considered the social media of oldies now, and forums are not far behind... :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I remember a work trip to Tokyo 25 years ago. Everyone walking round looking at their screen. I remember telling people on my return how the Japanese have " lost the plot"
If only I had been right!
Enjoy being on our bad mobile signal hill- and carrying my 15 year old nokia in case I put my foot down a hole when fishing.
Is that 1930s warning story called " The Machine Stops?"
Last edited by Ian.R.McDonald on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Getting bites and catching fish seems to be the point for younger anglers!

As to Cttees - I retired from all at 70 - Cttee years done - probably 50+ if totaled in one sum!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Olly wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:59 pm Getting bites and catching fish seems to be the point for younger anglers!

As to Cttees - I retired from all at 70 - Cttee years done - probably 50+ if totaled in one sum!
thank you for all your hard work-from us "normal" members

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

There is definitely more clubs could do, such as allowing members to take a paying guest and their wife / child free.

This would give opportunity for the guests / family to give it a try cheaply. And the guests are likely to buy a club ticket if they like it.

I have a club that allows me to take a guest for £5.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Thanks for that - on the Cttee for 4-5 clubs/societies over the years - some easy - some a nightmare!

£5 - That is cheap! Some - most? - are £10 - up to £25 for one club I am a member of. That is for a DAY not 24hours.
Then it can go from £20 - for 24 hrs.

Look at day tickets on commercials!

Return to “Fishing Films”