Reel box

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Reel box

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

ImageImageImage[img][/img
So....You've bought a lovely old reel in it's original but damaged box.Do you leave the box 'as is' or repair it ??? It won't fix itself so here's what I do.If the box is misshapen I use a plant sprayer to lightly dampen the cardboard and then with it teased back into shape let it dry.Any tears in the box are repaired with PVA glue which dries clear.I then apply a generous coat of PVA to both halves of the box that stiffens the cardboard and gives it a slight sheen.The reel shaped insert is invariably crushed or damaged so it gets the same treatment with the addition of lolly sticks and balsa wood to support the weight of the reel,in this instance a Centaure 600.Dare I say,my cardboard repair skills are not quite up there with theoretical physics but it keeps me occupied AND gives my Buy It Now finger a bit of time off.....TTFN πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Rockape
Roach

Re: Reel box

Post by Rockape »

Nice work Russ, and some cool ideas.
Coincidentally, I just rebuilt an early Intrepid Sea Streak display box that was absolutely in pieces; not a perfect restoration, but it now looks right and functions as it should.
No need to spray that one with water, but just the suggestion I needed for future reference, cheers! :Thumb:

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:01 pm Nice work Russ, and some cool ideas.
Coincidentally, I just rebuilt an early Intrepid Sea Streak display box that was absolutely in pieces; not a perfect restoration, but it now looks right and functions as it should.
No need to spray that one with water, but just the suggestion I needed for future reference, cheers! :Thumb:
Cardboard restoration can be an absolute thrill.What dynamic and enthralling lives we lead !!!

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Well done Russell. The newly crowned "Cardboard King".
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That a lovely job. Once I’m moved and my boxes are out of storage, I will have to try your method. For applying PVA to coat the cardboard, do you water it down or use neat?

Cheers,

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Duckett wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:47 pm That a lovely job. Once I’m moved and my boxes are out of storage, I will have to try your method. For applying PVA to coat the cardboard, do you water it down or use neat?

Cheers,

Phil
Hi Phil,No I use undiluted PVA (because I've got a gallon of the stuff) and quite a generous coating.I do one side at a time and let it dry face up so no drips.With a bit of warmth it dries in 30 minutes.I don't know if you noticed the bottom the box,I put little rubber feet on it to prevent the PVA from getting scraped.I really really need to get a proper hobby.πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:51 pm
Duckett wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:47 pm That a lovely job. Once I’m moved and my boxes are out of storage, I will have to try your method. For applying PVA to coat the cardboard, do you water it down or use neat?

Cheers,

Phil
I really really need to get a proper hobby.πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Well, you certainly aren't alone in your hobby, so that may be a comforting thought? We all get a buzz when fellow enthusiasts appreceate our efforts. Your posts and pm's have cheered me up no end. :Hat:

I get raised eyebrows (not in a good way..lol!) from friends and family, over my reel collecting and restoration work, but when it all comes together, it gives me a huge sense of achievement = makes me happy = job done!
Thankfully my wife has seen the joy it has given me, and so she supports me with it all (well, when serious money isn't invloved anyway).

Return to β€œOther Reels”