ferrul stoppers.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Haydn Clarke

ferrul stoppers.

Post by Haydn Clarke »

So we have Paul Cook's float and Watermole's Reel so here's my comparitively meagre effort.

Ferrul stoppers:

First take a length of timber, in this case some type of pale rosewood, possibly Bubinga.

Then mount it in the wood chuck and turn down into a cylinder of approx. 15-18mm

Next we need to cut them into shorter lengths of approx 50mm

We then remount the shortened section into the wood chuck and first turn a shoulder collar (I only do this as it gives the chuck more to hold onto when it is reversed and remounted into the Jacobs for turning the finial) and then turn the pin for which the cork is mounted onto.

Drill a small hole in the cork just slightly under the pin diameter, in this case 4mm and a hole size of 3.2mm

Remount in the chuck and turn both the cork and the shoulder collar down the the same size as the male ferrul from the joint are making the stopper for.

Remount in the chuck and turn the finial. This is where the shoulder collar comes in as it stops the chuck jaws from crushing the cork.

And you have a finished stopper.

Appologies for the poor pictures. Iphone quality I'm afraid.
Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: ferrul stoppers.

Post by AshbyCut »

Excellent, Sir. Thank you.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Very nice you make it look so simple :thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Lovely piece of work!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Brilliant Haydn, thanks for sharing that. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

That's rather neat Haydn-Well done!

...am feeling a little concerned though, about the red stain on the wall behind the lathe bed..

..Hope it's paint overspray..!

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, ..... I haven't heard word of Mrs. Clarke lately!

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

:think: hmmm
Mystery solved....It was Haydn, in the workshop with the No.6 gouge. Elementary dear Nobby! :hahaha:

Joking aside.... Lovely work on the ferrule stoppers H. Makes me want to get a lathe!
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Impossible, Watson. Mrs Clarke is allowed nowhere near the workshop.

It's run along the lines of a golf club: Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden.

And yes, watermole, it is paint overspray. I have yet to have an accident on the lathe, save for the odd dig-in, which is enough to sharpen the senses in itself. I have cut the tip on my finger with the band saw, though you wouldn't know it to see it. No permanant damage though it did require a hospital visit and with me feeling very light headed and dizzy in the waiting room. Worst workshop accident for me by far, though, and I only have myself to blame for going into work one christmas eve, after a heavy heavy night at the dancing ladies pub at the top of Duck's Hill Road, I managed to fire my headless pinner gun right down the length on my left thumb. When I tell people this they usually start hopping from one foot to t'other and holding their hands tight under the arm pits and making noises along the lines of "jeez", "Arghh", F***!", which is pretty much what I done when I did it. A headless pinner fires quite a fine gauge pin but it did go down the length of my thumb, locking the joint straight. A few hours in Mount Vernon's minor injuries unit, with me, yet again, feeling rather dizzy, resulted in a clean extraction. No lasting damage, thankfully.

PickleBarrel

Post by PickleBarrel »

:hat: :thumb: hi hadyn ....can i place my order for a dozen of each?....can supply corks (especially amount on vino that gets consumed at our house)

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”