Hello from the Shire's

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Cane Newbie
Minnow

Hello from the Shire's

Post by Cane Newbie »

Hello all.

An engaging process of joining. I may or may not be in the right place but recent research into buying my first cane rod keeps pointing me back to here so here i am.

Bit of a fly fisher with xxxbon rods but been looking at Cane rods, mostly beat up ones in vintage antique emporiums.

I found something from Milwards and researching that brings up this forum as a good resource for the brand and other than here a few posts across the pond with the Americans.

With the aid of another non-fishing forum that has a few cane users and general fishers on board i have compiled a check list for my hopefully first foray into the world of Cane.

Looked at this rod a couple of times and thought maybe, but maybe a shorter modern rod to what i have, will do for the river i intend to fish on. So last week i walked the river bank after renewing my EA rod licence, and the storms and flooding since last autumn have scoured the banks clean, so clean that i have walked in places that where unwalkable last year and being stuck under trees and overgrowth and things that will foul a backcast have all gone, and then i look at this cane rod again, still there in the shop.
If i don't have to worry about low trees and fouled back cast do i need a shorter rod.... maybe a vintage 9'+ cane rod would do.

And the rod is still there.
I looked again today armed with a check list, as i intend to use it. Milwards Fly craft 9' 6"

Is the rod complete, yes but no bag.
Does the rod have a spare tip, yes and it's equal length across the pair, but one has had guides rewhipped badly.
The guides and eyes all there. Yes might be ceramic tip eyes, Agate bottom eye and snake guides but all dirty, gunked up and rough.
The Agate eye appears intact not cracked.
The rod sections appear to be straight and no off "sets"
The connections between rod sections seem good, not tight, but not slack, everything seems to fit as it should with no force.
The reel seat is Alloy the grip cork is in good order and a hook keeper is present.
When sections are put together rod seems straight.... couldn't do a full 3 section due to many people in the shop.

I should have got it then, but wanted to look for more info so may miss out but i would rather learn and hopefully not have a snapper first time i try to use the rod with line on a river.

Aiming to go back and check again and most likely get it.

Then i have to learn how to care for a cane rod, maybe rewhip one of the tip sections and perhaps a dab of varnish here and there or a heavy coat of beeswax and try my first cane rod.

Hello all, i don't know much about cane rods :Thumb:

Dave F
Grayling

Re: Hello from the Shire's

Post by Dave F »

Welcome to the forum. Hope you get all you need from it. Plenty of people that can answer your questions.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Cane Newbie
Minnow

Post by Cane Newbie »

Thank you Dave F, hopefully add to the forum as well.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Hello and welcome to the forum Cane Newbie. :welcome:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome to the forum :Hat:

Your first cane rod is never your last. I suggest you buy the rod and give it a go, it is just a fishing rod and you will learn more with it in your hand than in the shop. I suggest you will need to slow your casting action a little but that first fish will feel better than most before and you will bond with the cane.

Take the leap.

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

Welcome to the forum.

Cane Newbie
Minnow

Post by Cane Newbie »

:Chuckle: And as of a few hours ago i now own my first Cane rod.

Now off to the Milwards subforum and search for information.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Welcome to the TFF - an inspiring amount of content is to be found.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Welcome - which "shire" might one ask?

Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Herefordshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Lancashire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, etc., etc.,

I'm from Nottinghamshire, just say "one of the above" if you don't want to name one.

Peter

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”