Free Wicker Basket now finished.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Free Wicker Basket now finished.

Post by Mr B »

Basket
Over the last couple of weeks I have been getting my fishing basket ready that was given to by my old mate who had no use for it.
Just the job for the new season.
See post....

viewtopic.php?t=40017

I enjoy a bit of plating, rope work and whipping, so having all what I wanted I got on with it.
The strap is platted hessian tree tie ( it comes in rolls)
The hinges are plated old fishing hand line, bees waxed first, then whipped with Marlow waxed no 4 whipping thread.
The little leather strap that keeps the lid on is from my old red postman's bike front bag rack.
The shoulder strap will stretch in time, hence the whipping, I can cut it, pull the strap to the length I want and sort that out.
The strap goes round the side posts and into the basket for a 'good grip', clumsy for some of you I know but I like it. ( when it rains it will get wet and fluff up nicely)
Its not something I will sit on, it really wouldn't be fair, but just the job for tackles and bank side food and drinks and a flat top for plate's and cups etc.

Mr B
Ps I have a little tying in to do on the top.. if I get round to it. It will see me out as it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mr B on Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: Free Wicker Basket now finished.

Post by Wanderer »

Very nice Mr B.
I have one or two wicker baskets myself. They are very good for tackle storage as well as actually using them by the water. :Thumb:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Lovely job there Mark…. :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nice job, well done.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Nice basket and pond.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That should keep it going for a decade or two :Hat:

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

You've done a great job there Mr B. I like the plaited hessian strap especially. :Hat:

Lovely things, wicker baskets, although not the most comfortable seating! (I think Noel Edmunds must have thought up the name of his fictional town of 'Crinkley Bottom' after sitting on one. :Chuckle: ).

I carry a gardener's padded 'kneeling mat' in mine as a cushion.

Other simple things to impove a fishing basket are to fit four large rubber walking stick ferrules onto the protruding ends of the frame to preserve them and act as non-slip feet. Lining the base of the basket with a waterproof sheet, cut to size, also stops small items escaping through larger gaps in the weave.

Both quick and easy things to do. :Thumb:
Last edited by John Milford on Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice indeed Mark.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

John Milford wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:33 pm You've done a great job there Mr B. I like the plaited hessian strap especially. :Hat:

Lovely things, wicker baskets, although not the most comfortable seating! (I think Noel Edmunds must have thought up the name of his fictional town of 'Crinkley Bottom' after sitting on one. :Chuckle: ).

I carry a gardener's padded 'kneeling mat' in mine as a cushion.

Other simple things to impove a fishing basket are to fit four large rubber walking stick ferrules onto the protruding ends of the frame to preserve them and act as non-slip feet. Lining the base of the basket with a waterproof sheet, cut to size, also stops small items escaping through larger gaps in the weave.

Both quick and easy things to do. :Thumb:

I like the idea of walking stick ferrules for the legs, John.
I have been on the lookout for little square "segs" for the same reason. Sadly, segs seem to be unavailable these days.
Rubber feet it will be ! :Hat:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Proper job is that!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”